burner question -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am buying a propane burner to boil 8 gallon wort (extract if that matters; in a 10-gal or 16-gal SS Bayou Classic if that matters). how critical is the amount of time it takes for the wort to go from 150deg to full boil? critical with respect to the quality of the taste of the beer. burner will be outside during brew day @ avg 70-80 deg weather.

If it doesn't affect the taste or quality then I would rather spend that money towards the ability to go from 210deg to 70deg in the shortest amount of time. (like a therminator) than a pretty copper 72,000 btu @ NB.

Thank you all in advance for your answers and support.

BY.

I would say it probably isn't that critical to get up to a full boil as it is to get cooled down as quickly as possible. I would think the only real down side is you might lose more volume to evaporation if it takes a while to get up to a full boil. At the very least I can't recall reading anything that states getting to a full boil needs to be as short as possible; unlike there be all kinds of advice stating you need to cool off that wort as quickly as possible while staying sanitary and safe.

Heat up time isn't a critical as cool down time as far as beer quality is concerned. On the other hand your burning propane for longer which isn't free. As far as increased boil off it's not really an issue. Just need to add more water pre-boil. It's the post-boil volume your concerned about.

Back