Burner for BIAB with B/C 44-qt pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaToy97

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and leaning toward BIAB for it simplicity. Only looking at making up to 5 gal batches with this setup. Does anyone have recommendations on which burner would work well with this specific pot and batch size?

I've used a blichmann and it works well. I use it with one of brewhardwares 1500w hot rods and barely use any gas. Would like to go full electric but I'm ok with this setup. I have lately been brewing on my kitchen stove with the hot rod and I've enjoyed that too. Long story short, if it were me I'd do a hot rod and then it doesn't really matter what burner you have you only need low power to maintain a light boil.

Just about any burner will work. Now it is a balance between time to boil and budget. If you want to buy one of the best and never have to upgrade, the Blichmann, is probably the most popular one. It is one of the most expensive ones though. The Hellfire is their newest model, it has a maximum mode and an efficient mode.

I haven't considered going eBIAB. Can this be done off a standard 110v outlet? Or do I need a 20-30amp outlet?

I've also been eyeing the KAB4 burner. Do you have any experience with the SP10 style burners?

What BTU range should be looking at for 5 gal batches? The KAB4 is 210,000 btu', whereas the Blichmann Hellfire is either 80,000 or 140,000. How do these adjust to be able to control the boil?

I have a Blichmann Hellfire. Three big factors make this a popular burner:

1-Quality. This burner will last many years provided you give it proper care and storage. Built like a tank.

2-Whisper quiet operation. You can use this burner on high and have a normal conversation. Others I have had sound like a jet at takeoff and almost needed ear plugs.

3-Effeciency. I just completed beer #7 on a 20# tank of propane. I have gas left to start or possibly finish #8. (60 minutes rolling boils...not slow simmers)

I have this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's a smaller banjo-style burner and one of the more common burners out there. It's quiet, and heats 5 gallon batches in my 10 gallon kettle excellently. I used to have a good write-up on the 4-or-so different burners out there (there really are not that many, just lots of different stands), but I can't find it, and have only 5 minutes left for the boil on my Kolsch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the SP10 burner. It is loud, not terribly efficient, though I seem to get more sessions out of a tank than most 4 or 5. And it is a little difficult to control at low levels of flame needed after you get to a boil.

I really want to go electric but if I upgrade my propane burners it will be with the Blichmann Hellfire.

Electric brewing sounds like the best method, but with quick research it seems to have high up front costs. Nearly as much as I'm spending on basic BIAB equipment.

Has anyone setup electric brewing for $150 or less? Is that impossible?

I just upgraded the burner that came with my turkey fryer to the Blichmann. What a difference. Super quiet and heat up my water faster than I could crush the 13# of grains. I was having remorse but I am glad I upgraded.

Electric brewing sounds like the best method, but with quick research it seems to have high up front costs. Nearly as much as I'm spending on basic BIAB equipment.

Well it all depends on your wants and needs. Most electric set ups referenced here are more sophisticated and of course cost more money.

You could install a 2000 w element in your 11 gallon kettle and make beer very inexpensively. Yes it would be slow to boil, and take time. It would afford you the convenience of indoor brewing.

The hot rod heat stick mentioned earlier coupled with a kitchen stove is also a good option.

I find carting equipment outside to brew a royal pia, and would much prefer to brew bare bones electric inside than setup propane outside.

Two 1500w elements in your 11 gallon kettle will boil a 5 gallon batch nicely ime.

You would need two separate 120v circuits w gfci.

240v elements running on 120 produce 1/4 of the voltage, so another option is to run a 5500w 240 at 120 to produce 1375w times two would be 2700w.

My hunch is you will need b/w 2500-3000w total.

Doing this would be well below $150.

I used to use an electric canning boiler that I got for about $150
Was a pretty small one tho I was able to mash with 5 gallons so way to small for a 5 gallon batch

Back