Burned out SSR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffey

Reaction score
I think I must have burned out my SSR on my second time using it. Part way through my last batch I realized my main breaker for the system had tripped. After I reset it I then noticed SSR was running at full on now matter what I set the PID for.

Any reason or way to test it further or am I just screwed and need to replace? Sucks. Bought it from auberins hoping NOT to have to deal with issues like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did you have it heat sunk? How was its current rating relative to your element power draw?

The reason for the questions is that you may just burn out another one if your system design isn't changed.

Yep, should be good on both of those accounts. Have a good heat sink, uses thermal paste. SSR is 40 amps and load is 30 amps. It lasted for one test run and one full batch before apparently burning up half way into second batch.

Wonder if auberins offers any warrantee?

If auber won't replace it, then don't buy another one from them. The ebay link that Brumateur posted shows the exact same part number that auber sells and they sell it for $8 compared to auber selling it for $19 plus shipping. I would buy 2 from the ebay link this way you have a backup and you're still spending half of the money compared to buying 1 from auber.

This was happening to me with a heat stick I was using - Kept tripping the breakers
(However this was about 2 years of using it). I thought it was my SSR but it was the wiring in my stick. It sprung a slight leak and over time corroded the wires.
I changed out the stick - no more tripping.

Bah, on the one hand Auber responded with how great their SSRs are and how they only had THREE fail last year. On the other hand the best they will offer me is a 30% discount on a re-order from them.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Am I understanding it correctly that that's a set of two?

Back