Bung Blew off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sittingturbo

Reaction score
So I just went into my lil closet to show my buddy my beer in my carboy, and the bung was blown off! It could not have been off for more then 24 hours because I just took it out of Primary and put it into secondary last night...

Everyone think it's okay?

Stupid bungs and carboys!

Had the same problem and thanks to the good folks on this forum I learned that your yeasts is putting out too much CO2 for any baddies to get in. You will be fine!:mug:

Use a large blow off hose to avoid this problem. Those little plastic air locks are too restrictive when foam builds up in them. I don't use them at all any more.

Or try foam control drops. I used to use blow-off tubes (I have them in all sorts of lengths, shapes, and sizes), but I got sick of cleaning them. Now I use a few drops of foam control drops, and blow-offs are a thing of the past. I am actually back to the good old 3-piece, easy-to-clean airlock and liking it very much. :)

FlyGuy said:
Or try foam control drops. I used to use blow-off tubes (I have them in all sorts of lengths, shapes, and sizes), but I got sick of cleaning them. Now I use a few drops of foam control drops, and blow-offs are a thing of the past. I am actually back to the good old 3-piece, easy-to-clean airlock and liking it very much. :)

Where do you get the foam control drops, my fellow Canuck?

Well, there shouldn't be enough fermentation in secondary to make your bung blow off, so you won't need a blow off tube usually, but I bet it was wet when you put it in the carboy. Wet bungs never seem to stay put! I usually sanitize it before I rack, then let it air dry on a papertowel before putting in it. That helps alot!

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Where do you get the foam control drops, my fellow Canuck?
Hey Denny -- alas, the only place I knew I Canada that sold them was Paddock Wood.

The last bottle I ordered was from morebeer.com. Austin Homebrew also sells it. I like these two shops because they will ship to Canada using US Postal Service, which means no brokerage fees and less likelihood of getting dinged with duty/taxes.

As a rule of thumb, I always use a blowoff for the first couple days. When I see the krausen subside is when I replace it with an airlock.

Latest posts

Back