Bulk storage of grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistaCitra

Reaction score
does anyone here store bulk grains and how do you store it? What vessels do you use, are they expensive, and where do you get them?

Thanks
All
And
Cheers!

I split big bags to 2.5 gallon ziplok bags for easier storage. I keep all grains in separate ziplok bags to prevent any grain weevils from affecting more that the grain that they are in. Only had 1 instance of grain weevils in 20 years, and it was confined to a 2 lb bag of Crystal. I keep the filled ziplok bags in plastic storage containers to keep mice away from the grain.

Another vote for Vittles Vaults. I have 6 of them; worth every penny.

I also use 5-gallon buckets. They stack easily, and with gamma seal lids, they seal well.

Here's how I store them, though when I have a lot there is another stack of those buckets:

buckets.jpg

I have two vittles vault outback 60. One holds a bag of 2-row. I think the other will be for golden promise. I think they were around $25 a piece.

I also just purchased the vittles vault 20-25 lb bucket to store crushed grain.

Specialty grain I just keep in the cupboard in the ziplock they come in. Usually only need a few ounces for a recipe.

Vittles Vaults for base grains and I just purchase specialty grains as I brew batch to batch.
Vital Vaults.jpg

does anyone here store bulk grains and how do you store it? What vessels do you use, are they expensive, and where do you get them?

Thanks
All
And
Cheers!

I've just been storing in the bag, rolled up tight. I plan to snag some of those vittles vaults. I figured one for 2 row, one for MO, and a smaller one for specialty grains.

I stopped into the local pet store (Petsmart). They wanted $50/ea for the 50# vittles vaults. I can get them online, shipped free, for half that.

+1 on 5G buckets and gamma seal lids. Much cheaper that the vittles vault and trust me, I was looking at those...

Each bucket holds ~25# of two row so you'll want a couple at least if buying 50# bags of grain.

The only problem I've had so far is some weevils that hatched out of some two row. In the end, that wasn't really much of a problem because I crushed them, mashed them, boiled them and the beer was very tasty!

Oh... I got my buckets and gamma seal lids at Lowes!

Well...i will chime in too.
I have everything in Rubbermaid's, Empty kegs and the specialty malts i toss in big Mason jar's. The mice cant get into that now!

Gamma lids and 5 gal buckets for me, cheap, stackable and multipurpose.

I have one vittles vault container that my opened bags of leftover specialty grains go in. Unopened 10 lb bags of base malt sit on a shelf. Other than that I let morebeer do the bulk storage. When I need something it's on my porch in two days.

I use an old primary bucket and a gamma lid for storage if base malt. One I buy them i separate it into 1# packages and vacuum seal them to keep them fresh.

(P.S. I'm old enough to remember when # stood for pound and not 'hashtag' so I continue to use it as such. )

$4 from lowes. Bpa free and food safe, if that is a selling point for you.

Encore Plastics 5-Gallon Commercial Food Grade Bucket
Item # 356492 Model # 50640

20180107_171952.jpg
Empty icing buckets free from the grocery store and 1 homer bucket with gamma lid. I need to get some more 5gal icing buckets, mine are all in use not storing grain. Getting right at 5lb of grain per gallon.

Last edited:
While they're a bit more expensive, I also recommend the Vittles Vault for grain storage.

Latest posts

Back