Bulk hops- $20 per pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or how old, or worse, have they been dried. I wouldn't chance it. But if you do post up some pics please.

Virtually all organic hops come from New Zealand and there are not all that many producers, so I wouldn't worry about quality or freshness. On the other hand, hops grown for the "health food" crowd are almost always low alpha hops, since they are used in teas.

Might be interesting for aroma/flavor, though.

Well if its not good for brewing beer use it for brewing tea? Or if want to spook the neighbors roll it up and smoke it! :rockin: I know most hops are too bitter for teas unless in a very small quantity.... but I am growing lots of stuff that will go well with teas... who knows maybe I will make some cool blends and sell them off.

david_42 said:
Virtually all organic hops come from New Zealand and there are not all that many producers, so I wouldn't worry about quality or freshness. On the other hand, hops grown for the "health food" crowd are almost always low alpha hops, since they are used in teas.

Might be interesting for aroma/flavor, though.

Usually between .5-3AA I think

The company, Frontier, is the same company that sell bulk herbs and stuff like that at health food stores, Whole Foods/Wild Oats, etc.

In fact, I got my hop plant last year from a nursery that sells herb plants at the local farmers market. I asked them what they use hops for and they said they use them for teas, hop pillows, and to make hop soap. Hop soap?!?, They said because of hops are a natural antiseptic. Well, duh!

biggerk said:
The company, Frontier, is the same company that sell bulk herbs and stuff like that at health food stores, Whole Foods/Wild Oats, etc.

In fact, I got my hop plant last year from a nursery that sells herb plants at the local farmers market. I asked them what they use hops for and they said they use them for teas, hop pillows, and to make hop soap. Hop soap?!?, They said because of hops are a natural antiseptic. Well, duh!

soapy beer! i have to agree with above. How good can they be if they are 20 bucks for a pound during a hops shortage?

scinerd3000 said:
soapy beer! i have to agree with above. How good can they be if they are 20 bucks for a pound during a hops shortage?

Oh no, you wouldn't use them for beer. its like putting the dried cranberries from the potpourii into you thanksgiving cranberry sauce. They're small, so I wonder if they're picking them small or early.

I asked if the hops from the hops plant they're giving me are OK for beer. They said no problem and they've sold to other homebrewers.

$20/lb is the wholesale price, the local small health food store sells them for $30+/lb!

scinerd3000 said:
any clue what kind they are? plus how do you know the flavor profile or AA%?

For the health-food-store hops? not a clue. I have heard of people growing decorative hops (why not make beer, but oh well.) Maybe the hops grown for non-beer uses are the decorative kind....

My plant is a Cascade. I split the main rhizome into two and each plant now has around 7 bines each.

how do you split the rhizome without killing it? I just ordered a cascade and mt hood to plant (a bit late i know)...

scinerd3000 said:
how do you split the rhizome without killing it? I just ordered a cascade and mt hood to plant (a bit late i know)...
My rhizome was shaped like a "V" so it was easy to cut, with a sharp, clean/sanitized knive. i was careful to keep the roots intact and rebury them.

its like cutting roots to propogate. Both rhizomes now have several bines coming up!!!

Digging up another old thread. Did anyone ever order these? I was wondering about their flavor/aroma.

That's too bad. That would be super cheap for aroma hops. Oh well guess you get what you pay for.

Back