Bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
What is the shelf life of unmilled grain? Does it vary for base malts or specialty malts?

I'm considering buying 50# bags of the grains I use the most just due to convenience and cost savings. I brew about every two to four weeks.
I would be able to keep the bag in a cool dry location stored in plastic tubs.
Thanks

Depends who you talk to, I've easily kept bulk grain over a year without any perceived issues. The big thing is how you store them. If you can use airtight plastic tubs, it will keep the grain from absorbing moisture from the air.

My dark mild recipe (1.040) uses 5lbs of grain, if you brewed every 4 months, you would finish a sack in 10 months. You'll be fine.

Depends who you talk to, I've easily kept bulk grain over a year without any perceived issues. The big thing is how you store them. If you can use airtight plastic tubs, it will keep the grain from absorbing moisture from the air.

My dark mild recipe (1.040) uses 5lbs of grain, if you brewed every 4 months, you would finish a sack in 10 months. You'll be fine.

Thanks
Would you mind sharing the dark mild recipe? I enjoyed a good one at Hyde Brewing in Charlotte, NC last weekend while visiting family.

I think he meant 4 weeks. :)

Yeah sorry 4 weeks not months.

The recipe for my oaked dark mild (good without oak too).

5.00 lbs Marris Otter
1.25 lbs rolled oats
1.00 lbs crystal 60L
0.50 lbs special roast
0.25 lbs chocolate roast
Mashed at 152F

0.5 oz EKG @ 45 min
0.5 oz progress @ 45

Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley

Aged on 3-4 inches (4oz) of bourbon staves for 2 months or 1 oz of medium plus cubes.

Full recipe at here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/224211/hobbit-hole-mild-ale

I've kept base malt for 2 years and it converted just as well then as when it was fresh.
I think a big part in the shelf life will come down to proper storage - cool, dry area inside airtight containers.

Back