Bulk DME source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source to find bulk dry malt extract (DME)? I'm kinda tired of buying multiple 3lb bags at around $4.33/lb for the purpose of building multi-step yeast starters. I'd like to have a couple 5 gallon buckets on hand with gamma lids and scooper to always have enough...

Do you have a Group Grain Buy in your area? That's where I've been getting mine, about $2.25 a pound.

Or perhaps contact a local brewery, ask if they can help you source DME by the 50# sack?

You can also brew a batch of double strength starter wort, and freeze it in "handy size" containers. When making a starter, reboil with an equal amount of water to get to 1.037 gravity (or lower for stepping up older, less vital yeast).
I"ve done a few of those, and going to make more.

I use containers that held cottage cheese I get at Sam's Club (48 fl.oz IIRC).

I'll hit up some breweries if they're willing. $2.25/lb is a great price. I used to collect additional wort parti-gyle style and store in plastic milk jugs to be frozen. I just don't to deal with those extra steps and take up more freezer space.

Do you have a Group Grain Buy in your area? That's where I've been getting mine, about $2.25 a pound.

Or perhaps contact a local brewery, ask if they can help you source DME by the 50# sack?

You can also brew a batch of double strength starter wort, and freeze it in "handy size" containers. When making a starter, reboil with an equal amount of water to get to 1.037 gravity (or lower for stepping up older, less vital yeast).
I"ve done a few of those, and going to make more.

I use containers that held cottage cheese I get at Sam's Club (48 fl.oz IIRC).
I like that train of thought, double strength. I've read about the parti-gyle idea too and have considered that. I've been thinking what I would do is to estimate how much I might can (yet another idea from HBT) or freeze and bump up a pale ale or pilsner recipe several gallons and collect that including the parti-gyle, since it would need reduction to get 2X anyway. This would bypass a separate batch.

@apache_brew sometimes you can get LME in bulk but I don't know how much it ends up being. I'd also consider keeping a bulk purchase of DME in separate bags at least within a bucket because even a little humidity or moisture and the 3 lb bags start to gunk up when stored.

Another storage option for double strength starter wort is to can it. Either in Mason jars (if you have a pressure cooker) or just fill aluminum beer cans (if you're setup for that). Means you can leave it at room temp without fear of it spoiling, clumping together (depending on where you live) or other issues.

Personally, I just buy the canned starter wort concentrate when I need to make starters (if I don't have any on hand already). I have three cans currently. My LHBS stocks it as well, so it's easy for me to pick up as many as I might need. The convenience, and time savings, more than make it worth it for me. IF I was making enough starters, I'd probably mash grain to make the starter wort, then save it (I have a can sealer/seam crimping machine, so that's an option). Since I'm using harvested yeast for my batches (until I need new/fresh yeast) my starter use/need has dropped significantly.

Bulk storing DME is a terrible idea unless your typical humidity is around 0%. Nothing but a sealed bag is going to keep it out. I know a few people who bought 50 pound bags. I call it "how do I turn $100 into a 50LB block of solid sugar?"
good to know. I guess it does get a little crusty around the edges in me the bag I normally buy it in. I guess I can put my vacuum sealer to work then.

A good idea would be to vacuum pack it into quart or pint bags, that way it wouldn't be able to get damp and clump up.
Vacuum bags are excellent for the job!
Ziplock bags are not ideal. I've been getting some clumping after a while, but maybe because of a bad seal or leak? The heavy duty "freezer-type" Ziplock bags perform better.

Without a vacuum sealer, oxygen barrier bags (the ones oatmeal, etc. come in, they're kinda crispy, semi-translucent, milky looking) can be used, when well sealed.

I store 20-30# of DME in a well sealing 3.5 gallon plastic "recovery" bucket. The kind they sell/transport dry (biotech grade) chemicals in. They have a rubber o-ring in the groove of the screw-on lid. I package a few pounds each time in barrier bags to have for on-hand use. Takes me a good 2-3 years to go through 20-30# of DME (used for starters).

Does the DME get sucked up into the sealer when applying vacuum? Do you leave a wider edge? I've never vacuum sealed a powder before.

Mine has a "gentle" setting, so very little powder gets sucked in. I do leave about an inch more margin than usually needed. It's pretty much a non-issue.
You know what I may have that, I think there's a liquid setting. I'm on my second dehydrator and I use it infrequently.

Does the DME get sucked up into the sealer when applying vacuum? Do you leave a wider edge? I've never vacuum sealed a powder before.
Put it in a bag, push as much air out as you can, zip lock it and put that into the vacuum sealer bag and vacuum seal that.

Anyone know of a good source to find bulk dry malt extract (DME)? I'm kinda tired of buying multiple 3lb bags at around $4.33/lb for the purpose of building multi-step yeast starters. I'd like to have a couple 5 gallon buckets on hand with gamma lids and scooper to always have enough...
Where are you buying your dme? I just bought some from ritebrew for $9.19 for three pounds.

I used RiteBrew for 50# bulk DME. Good prices and quick shipping.

I would store the DME in 1 gallon, zip-lock, mylar food bags (~5lb/bag), and then put those bags in Vittles Vaults. The DME didn't turn to rock, but then I live in a dry environment (Colorado). This process might work for others in a humid environment if you are mindful of when you move the DME from the bulk bag to smaller bags.

Another storage option for double strength starter wort is to can it. Either in Mason jars (if you have a pressure cooker) or just fill aluminum beer cans (if you're setup for that). Means you can leave it at room temp without fear of it spoiling, clumping together (depending on where you live) or other issues.

How does putting the wort into an aluminum can prevent spoilage?

How does putting the wort into an aluminum can prevent spoilage?
You have options. You can fill it warm/hot or do a 'normal' CO2 purge of the cans while filling them. If you fill the cans at about 140F it's still at a safe temperature to prevent things from growing/going bad. IF you're really interested in making a lot of starter (from grains) there are ways to make it safe for long term storage. It's not rocket surgery. The only thing I'd be careful of, when filling hot cans of wort for starters, IS the hot cans themselves. Grilling gloves, or the "ov-glove" would take care of that issue.

Personally, I don't have the need to either do this, or buy DME in any quantity. I simply get the canned starter wort concentrate and use it. I do like how using the canned starter concentrate allows me to NOT need to do any boiling, cooling, etc. to get a starter going. It shortens the time to get the yeast into the starter as well as eliminates pot/kettle cleanup and I don't need to worry about having wort residue in the kitchen. Since the hood above the stove here doesn't vent to the outside, it's a real item. IMO, the cost of the starter concentrate is no issue when it compares to the time needed to make the starters and perform the cleanup after.
I have a recipe coming up in a few months for a different yeast strain (than I'm currently using). I have three cans of starter wort concentrate on hand. That's enough to do two starter steps to get the yeast cell count I'll need. After that, IF I need to make a starter, I'll just get some more cans (I typically get a 4 pack). Using a stirplate means I get to make smaller starters than NOT using one.

You have options. You can fill it warm/hot or do a 'normal' CO2 purge of the cans while filling them. If you fill the cans at about 140F it's still at a safe temperature to prevent things from growing/going bad. IF you're really interested in making a lot of starter (from grains) there are ways to make it safe for long term storage. It's not rocket surgery. The only thing I'd be careful of, when filling hot cans of wort for starters, IS the hot cans themselves. Grilling gloves, or the "ov-glove" would take care of that issue.

If that was true, pressure canning would be unnecessary. Even boiling does not sterilize, which is why pressure canning is required.

Back