Bulk Aging in a Sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I usually make 13 gallon batches of my Amber Ale. It's pretty good right out of the fermenter, but after a month or six weeks of aging at room temperature, it gets GREAT.

Does anybody use sanke kegs for bulk aging? A 13 gallon batch would fit in one just fine, and I could move it from the sanke to cornies under pressure.

I would have to find a place to put it, though.

I can't see why a properly sanitized sanke keg wouldn't work for bulk aging. Lots of folks seem to do fine with aging or dry hopping in their corny kegs.

I ferment, age, and serve out of sanke kegs... They don't break, no light issues, and are bigger and cheaper than glass... Love em!

yea, if your doing 13 gallon batches, why not just serve out of a sanke? Beats tying up a couple cornies with the same brew!

I was rummaging around at my local scrap yard this week and found 2 - 7.5 gal sanke's with taps still attached, couldn't pass them up so I bought them, brought them home pulled them apart (both still had pressure) took the ring down to my local bearing dealer and picked up snap rings that were the same diameter as the retaining ring that holds the stinger. The snap rings took a little sanding on the belt sander to slim them down slightly and the Angle grinder to take some of the extra eye material that blocked the tap from drooping into place, but now they are easy to take apart. I'll be putting my Dead Guy clone in them next week.

yea, if your doing 13 gallon batches, why not just serve out of a sanke? Beats tying up a couple cornies with the same brew!

It would take up my whole kegerator. I can fit two 5 gallon kegs and a three gallon, or one sanke.

I like having three types on tap.

:mug:

i ferment in a sanke, and sometime serve in it if I only have one beer ready, but most frequently co2 transfer from my 15.5 to a 5 gallon for serving, so that I have carbed beer ready to dispense. This way, I make and age large batches, and can serve from smaller tanks and have variety.

I was rummaging around at my local scrap yard this week and found 2 - 7.5 gal sanke's with taps still attached, couldn't pass them up so i bought them brought them home pulled them apart (both still had pressure) took the ring down to my local bearing dealer and picked up snap rings that were the same diameter as the retaining ring that holds the stinger. The snap rings took a little sanding on the belt sander to slim them down slightly and the agile grinder to take some of the extra eye material that blocked the tap from drooping into place, but now they are easy to take apart. I'll be putting my Dead Guy clone in them next week.

The link below illustrates a simple method for installing the original sanke spiral rings. With a little practice, a ten second job...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

Latest posts

Back