Bulk aging 2.5 gallon RIS in 5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I recently started brewing 2.5 gallon batches instead of 5 gallon batches and now I want to bulk age a RIS. Would it be OK to do this in a 5 gallon keg if I were to purge the O2 with CO2?

It's either that or I go buy some new 3 gallon glass carboys which I really don't want to do.

If you fill it with Star San and push that out with CO2 you will have a nicely purged, pressurized keg. Then slowly let the pressure out as you're filling it and you should be good to age long term.

If you fill it with Star San and push that out with CO2 you will have a nicely purged, pressurized keg. Then slowly let the pressure out as you're filling it and you should be good to age long term.

Nice. Thanks!

That's the way to do it. I've done that with great success.

I actually have a couple 2.5 gallon kegs ordered but don't want them tied up for long term storage so I'll use my 5 gallon kegs for that.

So do you gravity feed from the fermenter into the "out" on the keg and just relief the pressure as it fills?

Back