Bulk Ageing in a "Better Bottle" carboy? Personal Experiences please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Hi.

I would like to do a RIS and bulk age it for say 6 moths then bottle it.

If you have personal experience of bulk ageing in a Better Bottle would you recommend using one?

Did you use an airlock and if so what type?

Many Thanks aamcle

Okay, so I have bulk aged in Better Bottles. I feel like they let in a bit more oxygen than glass so I like to use them for brett/sour beers.

For ageing a RIS, I like to use glass. If you have a corny keg to spare, I like to buy pin locks when they are really cheap for this, you can use them as bulk ageing vessels. They are the best because they are opaque, do not damage easily, more space friendly etc.

For airlocks I like to use the thick solid bungs to decrease oxygen permeability and I prefer the S type airlocks. They seem to evaporate less and in this way I can forget to top off the airlocks longer.

I brew a lambic in a better bottle. The only downside is when I have to move them the air lock loses liquid. I've used both types of air locks and I plan to use a Better Bottle to age my RIS when I add oak just so it can sit forever. I don't think the air lock type matters since both are easy to fill but maybe the S type is easier to see if it's running low on liquid than the 3 piece type.

I have a combination of glass and BB. I age in whatever I have open at the time I need it. I've noticed no ill effects in beers that have been in the BB for lengthy periods. I believe my longest was 10 months. I use both three piece and s-type airlocks, and I have no preference, but as mentioned above, moving BB with a three piece is a bad idea.

Most oxidation, if that's what you are worried about, will occur during transfer, not during undisturbed aging.

Latest posts

Back