Building your own recipe questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewme29

Reaction score
Im thinking of trying to try to build a recipe of my own. Any tips for making this a drinkable beer and not drainage water? I've been tinkering with some build a brew software, but what are the key points to take into account?

The best thing to do is select a style to brew and look around in the recipe forum to see what other people will typically use. You can also visit your favorite brewery's website and research a beer you like, many will list basic ingredients of a beer. If you don't have any books I would suggest "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels as well as "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Z. Both great resources for recipe creation.

Brewing software is simply a tool to help you brew, it will not tell you how to brew or what to use in a given recipe, only assists in calculations of ingredients, etc

If you have a good tasting palette simply sample your favorite beer and make notes of the flavors and aromas, mouthfeel, etc and then research the different grains and hops that impart those flavors and aromas.

Recipe creation is all about creating a balance between the sweet and bitter, full bodied or thin, dryness, etc. and experimentation with ingredients.

Excellent thanks, I'll definitely look into the book. I like the recipes available, but I want a little higher ABV than most of them are.

I generally just try to find a recipe for a style close to what I'm looking for, then modify it to get to where I think I want to go.

What style of beer are you planning to make?

I would also suggest "how to brew" by Palmer, great resource and will teach you how to calculate gravity as well as everything else you need to know about brewing

Are you brewing all grain or extract, that will make a difference as to how you go about recipes and what people may offer up

If you have found a recipe that you like but want it to be a higher ABV than really all you need to do is bump up the extract and adjust the hops to balance the additional malt used

Calculating gravity with extract is quite easy. 1lb of extract contributes 45 gravity points in one gallon of water so your gravity with 1lb of extract into 5 gallons is 1.009 (45/5)=9

So if you are looking for a beer with an OG of 1.070 you would use approximately 7-8lbs of extract ie: 8lbs x 45ppg=369 total ppg/ 5 gallons or an OG of 1.072.

This is the type of information that the books mentioned above will provide you in learning how to create recipes.

Back