Building the ultimate stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmenn

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing some higher gravity brews so I'm wanting a stir plate. I've looked at what is commercially available and they seen to be way over priced for what they are, so I'm thinking about building my own. Rather than trying to build the cheapest thing, I'd rather build the ultimate stir plate. I want it to be the only stir plate I'll ever need.

First a bit about me, so you understand my starting point. I'm an automotive designer by trade with over 20 years experience, a ham radio enthusiast, a four wheeler with a Jeep, and have access to a shop with about everything needed to fabricate anything I need. So I have the know how and equipment to build just about anything I want. I'm quite new to home brewing, having only started a few months ago and only done 4 batches so far.

My plan is to build an enclosure out of laser cut plywood, and mount the motor and controls inside of that.

I have a few questions before i get to into the design:

What is the biggest vessel I would need to accommodate? Assume nothing bigger that 5 gallon brews.
Does anyone have a feel for how much torque would be required to stir that size?
What RPM range do these things typically run at?
I see most are using computer fans. Is the fan necessary for cooling? Or is it just an easy to get motor?

What other features might be wanted?
I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to add a sensor and alarm to alert me of a thrown stir bar.
What other things might be wanted?

Have you seen the Black Maxx plates that apparently can spin a five gallon carboy? Could be a good starting point in terms of research. I'd say that being able to spin a 5000ml erlenmeyer flask for lager or big ale atarters is big enough, but can't speak to the torque requirements for it.

Back