Building my first kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heserb

Reaction score
I have been lurking in and out of these forums for almost a year and a half now gathering information and going about my merry way. I have several batches of home brew under my belt and finally convinced the MRS. to let me build a kegerator (it has to look like a piece of furniture).

I know what I want it to look like, but I haven't started on it yet. I want it to look like one of those old school oak refrigerators and the wife approved of the pictures I showed her. I am pretty good with wood working and have the grand vision in my head. I am basically going to build a cabinet and insulate it to make a refrigerator, however I am no refrigeration expert. My initial thought is to sacrifice a mini fridge for the guts and somehow get it into my cabinet. Are there any thoughts on how to go about this?

On a separate part of this project I want it to be a 3 tap setup one of which I am going to dabble in making my own soda (another requirement from the MRS.) Anyone know if I need to add a second regulator to my CO2 setup or can I still run all 3 taps (2 beer, 1 soda)with the same pressure?

Forgive my ignorance as I am a noob to this part of the fun. I am open to any and all suggestions. THANKS!

I love the way those look, too. I'm not an expert either, just wanted to point you towards the DIY subforum here on HBT and the kegerator portion of it, where you'll find lots of great threads and experts on it, as well as examples of what others have already done. Cheers!

...I want it to look like one of those old school oak refrigerators...

Something like the below pics? If yes, check out the build thread here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=572288

Ask anything you want, I will help as much as I can.

4id58IZ.jpg

Mrn7edR.jpg

...My initial thought is to sacrifice a mini fridge for the guts and somehow get it into my cabinet. Are there any thoughts on how to go about this?

...Anyone know if I need to add a second regulator to my CO2 setup or can I still run all 3 taps (2 beer, 1 soda)with the same pressure?...

I am not sure a mini fridge's cooling system will have enough chilling power to cool the cabinet. The one I built is pretty big and I used a compressor unit from a vending machine (check out eBay for some used units. Search for "refrigeration deck."). But if you are just making a 3 keg unit, with no fermentation chamber that will steal some cooling, the mini-fridge guts may be the way to go.

I would think you would need a dual regulator on your CO2 tank. Set the pressure for the soda to around 30psi and the one for your beer at 10 to 12psi (or wherever you like your carbonation level).

Thanks for the info guys. Laredo7mm I'll look into your thread this evening when I get home from my kids hockey practice. The unit you have is bigger than what I am thinking, according to the MRS. I have to keep the cabinet below the window in the area I have to put it so I was going to go approx. 40" tall but 3 doors wide, 2 for the refrigerator box one small one for refrigeration and one for glassware. I'll be sure to throw out a bunch more questions when I get this project started!

Back