Building custom keg cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmoon11

Reaction score
So I've read a few threads on how to build your own "kegerator" and I have the casing built already but I'm unsure on how to proceed with the refrigeration portion of the project.

I'm not converting a fridge or anything but have the box already built. It's large enough to fit one corny keg and co2. I have access to a mini fridge that I can take apart and I guess my question is can I just take out the components that refrigerate and mount them on the case and what's the best way to do it?

Looking for any advice people have and ideally something that describes the process in detail as I'm quite new to this process.

minifridges are built in such a way that taking them apart without destroying them in the process is nearly impossible. they are also extremely underpowered when it comes to cooling anything more than a case of beer at a time.

air conditioners are more easy to modify and have lots of cooling power, but it might be hard to plumb it into such a small box that only cools one single keg.

you might be able to cut a hole (the diameter of a keg) in the top of the minifridge and use it that way. or you would need some sort of coolant reservoir inside the fridge, and a coolant loop circulating thru your keg chiller, and all the complication of such a setup.

Back