Building a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm building my first keggle and I'm curious about the pickup tube for the bulkhead. I have 2 ideas.

1) have the pickup tube bend back around and pick up from the side of the keg so that I don't get a lot of trub in my fermentor

2) install a false bottom/ pickup tube that pulls from the very bottom of the keg.

Will the false bottom filter the cold/hot break well enough? Or should I go with the side tube (immersion chill with whirlpool)

Cheers!

guys who have their pick up tube in the middle usually build some sort of hop stopper, mesh screen, etc to deal with break material and hops. it's more work to get something working.

the flip side is that the side pickup is much easier to implement, however you must calculate your loss based on the fact that your side pick up tube is going to leave a gallon in the kettle.

i use a side pickup, but as i brew 10 gal batches of bigger beers i am wondering if i'd rather have that gallon back as head space for boilover protection instead of ease of draining the kettle...

Back