Building a copper manifold, need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm the the process of building a copper manifold for my mash tun. I've been using one of those stainless braids but I'm looking to use something a little more legitimate. So I built a manifold today split into 4 quadrants but my issue is how to attach it it the ball valve. If I attach it direct it'll be lifted off the floor by 1/2 inch. So I'm planning on running an extra piece of copper from the middle. My question is which method will allow best flow of wort? Option 1 or option 2?

Ps - I'm getting a copper bending tube in the morning to make it fit properly which is why the last piece is not there in either picture.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437187552.467177.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437187564.238242.jpg

Option # 2, you run a greater chance of dislodging it with your mash paddle.

There's another option:
In option #1, shorten the sides slightly, and on the tube closest to the outlet "nipple", split it, and use a 45 degree and a "T" to attach to the outlet nipple.

How are you planning to bend the rigid copper tubing?

And, you will build it where it can be dismantled in sections, yes?

Edit: to answer your question, I feel the flow would be the same on either configuration..........It's going to go down until it breaks vacuum, and what's left in the tun is what's left.

Now I read on How to Brew that you don't want the copper to be too close to the walls, which is exactly what mine does. Ive been getting a little less than 70% efficiency which is not making me happy. I built this to get better efficiency from my stainless braid and I am pretty much the same if not a little worse. But on his diagrams it shows the end of the copper going right into the ball valve. But if I did that the copper wouldn't sit flush on the ground.

So my question is would it be ok to attach the the copper that way and have part of it not be completely flush against the cooler bottom? In all reality when people use the stainless braids they don't lay flush against the bottom either... Any help is appreciated, I hate having such a low efficiency, my beers have all been good but I feel like I could be doing better at the end of the brew day when i take my OG readings.

mainly because I like the diy aspect of it, plus I already spent money on copper.

Back