Bug in my Beer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deskjockey894

Reaction score
Discovered this bug (just a tad smaller in size than a penny) floating in my wort after i added my DME. I am 100% certain that the bug was in the sealed bag. I do a BIAB inside my apartment. And order the grains and DME from Brewmasters warehouse which is in Atlanta. (any Atl'ers know what that bug is?)

So what would you guys do - as weird and nasty as it is finding a bugger caught in the hole of your brew paddle - there's no sanitary issues, and it likely wouldn't impact taste right?

Should I just stay the course and not tell any of my friends when they're drinking it, or would you guys dump the batch out?

Bugger.jpg

Ok Thanks - that was my gut response too - really don't wanna dump it out. Added the DME at the 30 min mark in the boil. Can anyone name that bug?

Just keep going you have some kind of beetle there hard to tell from the picture what kind. You can always try http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ thoes guys are pretty good about helping ID bugs. Your beer should be just fine and in some cultures a wort poached beetle might be a delicacy.

Something similar happened to me. After primary fermentation cleared up I saw a big bee floating around in my beer. It must have flew in during the boil as I've caught a couple more comacazi bees since then. I just scooped him out and all was well. The pale ale bee beer turned out quite good so I don't think you have anything to worry about except a little extra protein.

watch the brew master video on discovery about the ethiopian beer they made where they had to manually chew corn kernels in their mouths, spit it out and made some sort of beer. gross but they opened a keg and served it in the brew pub for patrons and made them well aware of the brew process haha, check it out

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/other-shows-brew-masters-videos.htm

watch the video named "old school chica"

Cavemann310 said:
watch the brew master video on discovery about the ethiopian beer they made where they had to manually chew corn kernels in their mouths, spit it out and made some sort of beer. gross but they opened a keg and served it in the brew pub for patrons and made them well aware of the brew process haha, check it out

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/other-shows-brew-masters-videos.htm

watch the video named "old school chica"

I thought that beer was from Chile?

I once had a beetle fly right into my boiling wort. It disappeared and there was no way to get it out. Never saw it again until .... I was sharing a bottle of my strawberry wheat with some friends and our pours a very dead beetle into the glass. The beer was great though, one of the best I've made. Strawberry Beetle was a big hit. Can't believe I didn't see it when bottling, but oh well.

That looks like a june bug/japanese beetle. They chow down on growing hop plants, its a widespread problem. My guess is that it was in your packaged hops. No big deal for the beer though, I've heard of worse stuff falling into beer and it ending up alright...

Back