Bug beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Just discovered this in my brown ale. It has been fermenting for ten days and is down to 1.017 (wyeast London esb). It looks like a bee but that's a total guess. I would imagine it got into the boil somehow but I can't rule out that it made it in during cooling (although the pot was covered most of the time) or even after. Should I be concerned? No off flavors at all in the sample I took

Here's a picture
http://postimg.org/image/qbebg2pt7/

It should be fine. At least it's not a dead rat, or a bunch of maggots or something.

I've found a few insects in my fermenter over the years, and they've never affected anything. I would just look at this as an opportunity to give your beer a cool name. :)

I would probably pull it out with a sanitized spoon (if you didn't already do it) for starters.

I've never had this happen to me, but it wouldn't surprise me if most insects carry wild yeast (or other goodies) around on their bodies. Obviously this would only be a concern if it got in after the boil. Will this kill your beer? I doubt it--especially since there aren't any signs of infection at 10 days. Is it possible that you might have a few unintended yeast strains/other stuff? Perhaps. Let us know how it turns out :mug:

Latest posts

Back