Budget thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
Hello. I accidentally broke the glass lab style thermometer that came in my kit before I even sanitized it. I'm looking for a replacement but don't think glass is the way to go. I like the metal ones that clip on the side of the kettle and have a probe that extend down but I'm not sure if this would reach Down far enough in my 10 gallon kettle?I appreciate any ideas.

I've found a digital thermo on ebay or amazon, can't remember, but it was 3-4$. I checked if it was accurate with 2 more I already had and it is doing a great job. I would say +/- 0.5F. Problem was shipping (5 weeks!).

I spent at least 100 bucks on cheap non accurate thermometers I broke, dropped etc until making my last thermometer purchase for many years to come. thermapen!

So many beers... so little time.

Borrow the electronic meat thermometer from your spouse. You can dangle the probe into the HLT/mash tun and use a clothes pin to keep it in place. You can even set the temp alarm to let you know when you are close to the desired
strike water temp etc.

Another Therma Pen fan, it should work for just about all brewing aspects. Bonus feature is that you can use it for cooking around the house.

Borrow the electronic meat thermometer from your spouse. You can dangle the probe into the HLT/mash tun and use a clothes pin to keep it in place. You can even set the temp alarm to let you know when you are close to the desired
strike water temp etc.

That's what I was hoping to do. Is there any concern about strerilizing it since the braided cable has so many nooks and crannies?

I have two Thermoworks digital thermometers that display "LLL" all the time, new batteries, reset, nothing. I liked them when they worked, but I'm a bit annoyed with product quality. The book says "return for repair"when you see that.
People seem to like the thermapen, but I have a bad taste in my mouth.

Does it matter for a MLT/HLT? You are going to boil the wort for 60 minutes anyway.

I was also thinking about using it when cooling the wort to see when it's right to pitch the yeast. I don't know if that matters after it's boiled.

I paid $14 for a digital CDN off Amazon. Better than the long stem dial one I have that fills with condensation if clamped on the side of a brew kettle.

I was also thinking about using it when cooling the wort to see when it's right to pitch the yeast. I don't know if that matters after it's boiled.

IMO it should be ok if you are not submerging the braided section post boil.

if your are worried about the braided part, soak it in sanitizer first. I only use mine (my wife's) in the hlt. I use an infrared spectrometer from the auto store to check wort temp while chilling. That way nothing goes into the pot. I got tired of wiping off the thermopen and sticking it in a cup of starsan in between readings

Latest posts

Back