Buddy coming back from ft collins/ Denver area, what beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
As the title said a friend of mine coming home for a visit and I was wondering if you all that live in that area could help me out. Are any of the cool sour/funky beers easy to snag or are they primarily at the pubs only. Not sure which ones do or do to distribute. Any local IPAs or Belgians that are a must?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Funkwerks Saison is great and can be found in most front range places. Their more unusual/experimental stuff is mostly sold in the taproom, but they usually have some bottled. Hoppy Man/Boy IPAs from Twisted Pine in Boulder are solid and not from one of the major Colorado brands (not sure they would qualify as a must though). Their La Petite Saison is good. I'm not sure if it is out yet, but Dry Docks Imperial Pumpkin is very good.

Hop Savant by Crooked Stave is not for everybody, but I love it. It is a brett pale ale that is normally made with the same hops in the boil (citra, simcoe, and mosaic IIRC), but they change the dry hops consistently to different varieties. So batch to batch it has a slightly different taste/aroma.

Funkwerks Saison is great and can be found in most front range places. Their more unusual/experimental stuff is mostly sold in the taproom, but they usually have some bottled. Hoppy Man/Boy IPAs from Twisted Pine in Boulder are solid and not from one of the major Colorado brands (not sure they would qualify as a must though). Their La Petite Saison is good. I'm not sure if it is out yet, but Dry Docks Imperial Pumpkin is very good.

Hop Savant by Crooked Stave is not for everybody, but I love it. It is a brett pale ale that is normally made with the same hops in the boil (citra, simcoe, and mosaic IIRC), but they change the dry hops consistently to different varieties. So batch to batch it has a slightly different taste/aroma.

I was definitely looking at that funkwerks saison. Are the crooked stave beers pub only?

You can find Crooked Stave at a few liquor stores. I think they have a list on their website. In Ft Collins I have bought some of their beers from Wilber's and 287 Discount. They usually don't have much though. Maybe someone from Denver can give you an idea of where they might be available there.

Crooked Stave if you are into sours. They currently have Origins in bottles in the tap room which is a burgandy sour ale. Phenomenal beer. St Bretta is also really good.

Also, all Funkwerks beers are good. Tropic King is one of my favorite saisons.

Hey guys. Thanks for the recommendations. Turns out he is driving home so he won't be going to Denver. He did however score me a couple st brettas. As well as a couple funkwerks saisons and a fw deceit. Can't wait.

Back