Buckling in new stainless immersion chiller, normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanMC

Double Curl Brewing
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a new stainless steel immersion chiller, and while the bends on the coils look good, the sharper radius bends have some pretty noticeable buckling in the tubing. This is 3/8" OD stainless. Is this normal/expected with stainless? I've only used copper chillers in the past.

Thanks!
MVIMG_20200311_173219.jpeg
MVIMG_20200311_173411.jpeg
MVIMG_20200311_173448.jpeg

Normal.
You can't use a mandrel for this, and the outside wall isn't going to stretch much, so the inside wall has to compress one way or the other to make a radius actually happen. My 50' 1/2" SS IC has the same ripples where the bend radius is tight. NBD...

Cheers!

Normal.
You can't use a mandrel for this, and the outside wall isn't going to stretch much, so the inside wall has to compress one way or the other to make a radius actually happen. My 50' 1/2" SS IC has the same ripples where the bend radius is tight. NBD...

Cheers!
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response, and for putting my mind at ease. I was worried I was going to have to ship this back.

I’ve got a 1/2” stainless IC from Stainless brewing and a 3/8” one from NY and neither have this rippling on the tubes.

I’ve got a 1/2” stainless IC from Stainless brewing and a 3/8” one from NY and neither have this rippling on the tubes.
Ugh. I guess I need to call NY tomorrow and ask them if this is what their entire stock looks like. I wonder if I just got a bad one.
Thanks for the info.
I wouldn't worry. I believe the crimping could make it stronger and it won't slow the flow.
Yeah I think I'd be fine with it, if this is the way they all are. I just don't want to get stuck with something that is a manufacturing anomaly.

I just got a response from NY Brew Supply:
This is normal. We now use a thinner wall of tubing because it has better heat transference properties. This also keeps the price in check. Conversely, this also means that it doesn't bend tightly quite as smoothly. It does not affect the performance of the chiller at all.
Good enough answer for me! By the way, their customer service was excellent and very fast. This is my second interaction with this company, and so far I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

Latest posts

Back