bucket vs. carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cseifert151

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading here and on other sites suggesting that primary fermentation may be better in a glass carboy. What are the Pro's and Cons of fermenting like this?

Search for it. It's a highly debated topic. Then form your own opinion. :D

Welcome to the board!

For primary, it doesn't matter. It might be easier to use a bucket, so you can stir if you're using real fruit, but it doesn't matter. No real "pros" I can think of, but no "cons" either.

I've always felt it had more effect on secondary by giving less head room in a carboy for nasties to fall out of the air before the slow release CO2 fills it. But really, that is about managing your vessel size for the amount of liquid you have and could be done with a bucket of the right volume too.

I do like being able to see the clarity change through the carboy when I'm aging in secondary. I also understand this is a bit like arguing what kind of wood to make an electric guitar out of. The answer is "whatever you think is best".

Search for it. It's a highly debated topic. Then form your own opinion. :D

Welcome to the board!

+1 and you can look in the grid below to find them...

I've used both and both are good. I like my carboys cause I like to watch. I hate watching the airlock on a bucket and wondering what is going on in there. But really if you can learn to just trust your yeast the buckets are truly excellent fermenters.

I've also used both. I like buckets cuz they are cheap and stackable. I like carboy cuz it's fun to watch the fermentation.

Pros:
Buckets- easier to clean, take up less space, not fragile.
Carboys- last longer (buckets will stain after a while... bust really cheap), look nicer

Cons:
Buckets- stain, and need replaced after a while.
Carboys- harder to clean, can break, harder to handle at times

Overall, I use buckets now, but would not hesitate to use a carboy if I had one at hand... I've heard they are better for long-term conditioning

Back