Bucket Fermentation Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
My fermentation space does not normally get below 74F so I have been using water baths until I can get a fridge system for fermentation.

I am wondering about the temperature gradients of buckets. With the better bottle and glass carboys, I know a water bath will bring the temps down to a good fermentation range. The buckets are a thicker plastic and plastic can be more of an insulator so I am wondering if a bucket will cool off in a water bath and how well do they work for cooling down in a fridge fermentor? I would like to try some primary fermentations in a bucket but I am unsure if the temps will be too high even with a water bath...

Water baths? Sounds like a lot of work. I believe they sell "analog temperature controllers" that work between 20degreesC up. I'm not sure if you're going to get noticeable results from plastic or glass, as they're similar insulators?

Brewmasters Warehouse has some new fermenting buckets that are a bit thinner walls so should cool down a bit better than standar onew.
Also they are 8 gallons which give a little added head space which is good.
I just bought one and used it last weekend and love it so far (it also is translucent so you can see whats going on like a carboy).
See the bucket at their website - http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101622/8-gallon-fermenting-bucket

The fridge/temp controller has to wait for a bit until we have the cash flow to purchase both a used fridge and the temp controller...

I've used plastic buckets quite a bit in a water bath, and I've never noticed much of a difference in the beer temperature vs. using carboys. I think it works fine.

i have personally noticed (for me) it's easier to keep the temps in my 6 and 1/2g glass carboy. it seems more reactive when i add the frozen water bottles to the swamp chiller. it cools down faster. according to the 2 strip therms i have stuck to them (2 on each)

If the bucket stays in the water bath for hours, there is no chance a mere bucket will insulate sufficiently to allow the yeast to overheat themselves. Use a sufficiently large thermal mass and you have no worries. Water has an *excellent* specific heat. :)

i have personally noticed (for me) it's easier to keep the temps in my 6 and 1/2g glass carboy. it seems more reactive when i add the frozen water bottles to the swamp chiller. it cools down faster. according to the 2 strip therms i have stuck to them (2 on each)

I would want the temps to change gradually not rapidly.
Keep your yeast happy, not stressed.

Latest posts

Back