Bucket blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nettekdl

Reaction score
So I have a cider going right now and throw a combo of over pitching and lack of head space it started blowing off in the air lock pretty good. Ok so no big deal I threw on my blow off like I've done dozens of times before and walk away. I come back am hour later to krausen all over the floor. Apparently this fermentation is going to be far more violent then any I've ever had and even with the blow off its blowing the lid seal so I hillbillied a way to seal the lid better with 2x4's and a keg of water and still it leaks. Anyone have any other ideas to save me from SWMBO? Current solution is just let it leak all over in a bin lol

20150424_114118.jpg

Second vote for the carnage pics.

I don't know if you can work it in that setup, but I have a set of large blow off tubes (1", I think) for just this very reason. Rarely is it used, but when a bung gets blown, I go to these tubes. The larger space allows more gas to escape. I use a carboy exclusively, though, so I can just pop it right in when needed.

Take the keg off, loosen the lid, but leave on top, and let the overflow collect in the storage box.

This. The explosiveness comes from built up pressure... if you make it so the pressure can't build, all set.

Often wine makers (cider is a wine) cover with a dish towel for the first few days - in part because they need to "punch the cap".... or other reasons to get in to it the first few days. So no pressure can build up.

CO2 passes out, with a towel, or not tight lid, no muck can fall in.

Well I'm leaving in an hour for a weekend fishing trip so I will update you with what I come home to Sunday!

I'd do the loosen the lid thing. But if you don't, please post pictures after it blows as everyone is requesting. That looks like a tiny blowoff tube.

Well just got home from my trip and sorry to disappoint but no carnage to speak of at all luckily, just a very full blow off vessel

Back