bucket as a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
i have 3 batches going and need to put my barley wine into a secondary. Can i use my 6 gallon fermenter bucket as a secondary it's all i got.

if you are planning to age that barley wine for a long period of time, a bucket is probably not the best choice. It might work, but glass would definitely be a better choice for aging.

You would be much better served by a glass carboy for long secondary. Plastics buckets are more permeable to oxygen.

How long are you planning on leaving it in secondary?

A bucket will certainly work, but if you're going for a longer fermentation, glass is better.

I recently did my Toasted Coconut Porter, glass primary then plastic bucket secondary, opposite of what I usually do, but that's because it's a hell of a lot easier to get coconut out of a bucket than it is getting it out of a carboy. :D

Not lazy... efficient! :p

a year. i do have plastic better bottles i could use one of those for my barley wine and put my other batch in the plastic bucket thats only in the secondary for a month. I don't own glass just 1 six gal. bucket and 3 six gal. better bottles

Better bottle is probobly a better way to go, but for that long of a bulk aging, i would invest in a glass carboy. Nothing wrong with better bottles but with glass you can be certain there is no permeability.

+1 on going ahead and picking up another glass carboy if you're bulk aging for a year. It's not that much to spend when you're investing a year on a beer. I'd hate to spend a year on something and have it come out less than what I expected it to be.

Back