Bubbles within one hour!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbymedic

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
this is my first thread although I've been reading for a few months now. I brewed my fifth batch this morning. A West Coast IPA (http://ebrew.com/product4643.html). I got an OG of 1.070. I've never made a yeast starter before so I thought I'd give it a try. I made the starter yesterday around 2pm or so, using US-05. Well, I finished brewing around 1pm and already have bubbles at 230pm! I've never had fermentation that quick, even on my imperial stout!
Anyone else achieve fermentation this quickly before? Is it normal? I've just never heard of it beginning that quick.

cheers,
ShelbyMedic

That is great!

But... There is no need to make a starter with dry yeast. The pack contains twice as much yeast as a package of liquid yeast. It is also engineered so that you don't need the starter. Mr Malty suggests 1.2 packs of dry yeast. (I would still just use one pack) It would have cost less to get a second pack of dry yeast than make the starter. You should rehydrate the yeast though. This takes only 20-30 minutes.

As to how fast. That seems really fast, though it should not indicate any problems. I don't watch mine carefully enough to say what the quickest time has been but usually between 4 and 12 hours.

Also keep in mind fermentation temperatures. How warm was the wort when you pitched the yeast. Warmer temperatures will make it start and finish faster but will lead to off flavors. Mid sixties is best for most ale yeasts.

Ain't it fun, Shelby! As far as starters go... If you pitch a starter while it is up full krausen there is no real reason it wouldn't continue devouring sugar and throwing off co2. Once the headspace gets filled, airlock activity! Many brewers want top avoid transferring too much DME into their brews. They will fully ferment their starter, then cold crash it and decant to a fraction before pitching the denser slurry into their brew. But on another note, most here would tell you a starter is unnecessary with 05 or any dry yeast for that matter... Some might even go so far as say it is detrimental. I really like 05 (and s04 even more, lately). Boil up a 1/2 cup of tap water and let cool. Toss the packet in the cooled water, cover it and set aside. Ready to pitch 30 minutes or so later. Happy brewing!

...and beaten to the punch again!

Wort temp was around 68-70. I would say I made the starter more as a 'hey i've never done this, let's learn' kinda thing, know what i mean? Plus, I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not to make a starter. Some folks say always, some say rarely, some say 'meh, i never do'.
I use US-05 in my American Cream Ale and just poured it into the bucket, no rehydration and it fermented great.

I'll keep y'all up to date on gravity.

Back