Bubblegum from us-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamw

Reaction score
The last beer I made was a west coast ipa that I used us-05 dry yeast for. I fermented at about 68 ambient, so the actual temp was probably a little on the high side. I noticed that I got a little bit of a bubblegum flavour, similar to what I get in some Belgian styles (delirium tremens I get it big time). Anyone else experience this?

I'm not complaining, I actually liked it a lot!

US-05 is one of the most neutral yeasts out there. Therefore, I don't think the flavor is coming from the yeast.

I've also fermented at that temp and much hotter with that yeast without getting any bubblegum

I use US-05 a lot and never had that issue. I think fermenting at hotter temperatures is supposed to create bubblegum/banana flavours but whether 68 is considered too hot I'm not sure. I usually ferment a bit lower than that, maybe around 60 or so.

After tasting another of my beers (wheat ale), I noticed it slightly as well. This was fermented at the same time at the same temp (different fermenters). Perhaps its something in my water that might account for it. It's very, very slight, and maybe not there at all (I certainly don't have a refined palate or anything). Either way, I like it, so it's probably not something I'm going to invest a whole lot of effort into figuring out!

Thanks for the input guys.!

http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/esters/

Ethyl butyrate (aka ethyl butanoate): very common in beers. Threshold: 400ppb. Common levels in beer: 50-250ppb. Smells of tropical fruit, pineapple, Juicy Fruit bubble gum. Our panel has seen ethyl butyrate in: Alaskan Winter Ale, Hair of the Dog Blue Dot, Stone Levitation, Coors Blue Moon, Deschutes Twilight, Stone Belgian IPA.

Other ways of enhancing ester production is by brewing high gravity beers, long maturation times, higher fermentation temperatures, and increasing attenuation limit. Conversely, if you wish to limit ester production (without changing yeast strains, that is), then you can increase wort aeration, brew lower gravity, decrease the attenuation limit, lower fermentation temperatures, or perhaps keep some over-pressure on the fermentation. There also tends to be variations in ester production when comparing ale and lager strains, although production variables like those mentioned above (and particularly yeast health and fermentation temperatures) can sometimes overpower these inherent differences. All things being equal, ales tend to have ester levels up to about 80ppm while lagers usually don’t get much above about 60ppm. That being said, ester production is very nuanced and complicated, so finding the right balance of production variables may be easier said than done. Of course, the usual flavor caveats apply to esters: there are guidelines for ester levels depending on beer style, but it’s ultimately up to the brewer whether they belong there and at what level.

Bubblegum flavor is generally developed during fermentation as a combination between the yeast, temp, aeration, and style. You could always get crazy with it and try to increase the flavor to try and iron out exactly how you're creating it. It'd be pretty cool to be able to isolate it and recreate it to the degree of your choosing for different beers.

Thanks! That's great info. One thing I didn't really think about was aeration. I aerate when I transfer from by BK to the fermenter. I usually just drain the BK from counter height to the bucket on the floor, so it ensures a good splash on the way down. Perhaps a slight under-aeration is the cause.

Did you rehidrated that yeast properly?
I used to get all kinds of peachy fruity stuff from US05 until i upped my rehidration and pitch rate game.

05 also gets peachy below 64 f or so I have found

S_M

Once i fermented with US05 in a winecellar but that was my first brew and it got super peachy rotten fruity. Later i fermented at 70F and my beers still got peachy.
Then i raised my pitch rate (2 packs per 5 gallon for anything below 1.080 and above its 3 packs) and started rehidrating the yeast. I also add yeastfood and some olive oil because i don't like to shake the fermeter too much (i just drop the wort from the kettle into the fermenter and that is all, i am not recommending doing this but it works with the described process) and i dont have aeration devices. I have never smelled esters from US05 since then. Then they reappear during the first 3 weeks of bottle fermentation (probably because they had a healthier enviroment in the primary) though but my stuff smells ester free after the krausen drops in the primary.

Once i fermented with US05 in a winecellar but that was my first brew and it got super peachy rotten fruity. Later i fermented at 70F and my beers still got peachy.
Then i raised my pitch rate (2 packs per 5 gallon for anything below 1.080 and above its 3 packs) and started rehidrating the yeast. I also add yeastfood and some olive oil because i don't like to shake the fermeter too much (i just drop the wort from the kettle into the fermenter and that is all, i am not recommending doing this but it works with the described process) and i dont have aeration devices. I have never smelled esters from US05 since then. Then they reappear during the first 3 weeks of bottle fermentation (probably because they had a healthier enviroment in the primary) though but my stuff smells ester free after the krausen drops in the primary.

I love 05 and use it all the time I have been top cropping the same 4 packages since july of 2013

I just bought 4 more packs to start fresh again

I will brew a 11.5 gallon batch then another one two days later and just top crop yeast from the first batch into the second batch

then top crop the yeast and save it for the next batches, I brew a couple times (four batches) a month like that

works out well for me, picthing enough good healthy makes so much better beer

all the best

S_M

I love 05 and use it all the time I have been top cropping the same 4 packages since july of 2013

I just bought 4 more packs to start fresh again

I will brew a 11.5 gallon batch then another one two days later and just top crop yeast from the first batch into the second batch

then top crop the yeast and save it for the next batches, I brew a couple times (four batches) a month like that

works out well for me, picthing enough good healthy makes so much better beer

all the best

S_M

4x11.5 gallon a month? You are living the dream!

Are you sure it was a bubblegum flavor? That sounds like what you would get from a belgian / saison yeast at higher temperatures. I vaguely remember Yooper saying that below 66-68F, US-05 was peachy and gross; I would assume that it behaves the same way above that range, as well. I've personally experienced the rotten peach flavor at low temperatures, and I dumped it.

At this point, I don't even bother with US-05, anymore; it's just too damn persnickety. If I want a clean, neutral yeast with a large range of temperature, I go with Nottingham.

4x11.5 gallon a month? You are living the dream!

works out to be 2 really full 5 gallon kegs a batch and it is more like a couple of batches every 16 to 18 days

but I do have to stop after I fill 20 kegs as I do not bottle

but as soon as I have kegs empty I do brew again

I am lucky that I work from home two days a week (Tuesday and Thursday) so I try to brew those days when I brew

as it makes me feel like I am getting paid to brew beer :)
all the best

S_M

Back