Bubbled The Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So I took the time to cold crash for a week and then when I went to transfer from corny to corny, I didn't have the pressure low enough in the serving keg and ended up (bubbling / boiling) the fermenting one before transfering. After the transfer was complete I took a sample and it is SUPER cloudy. Should this settle out at all over time while I am force carbing?

Give it a few days again and things should settle out again. Maybe the first pint or 2 will have some yeast, but after that should be fine again.

So you cold crashed in corny #1 then transferred to corny #2 for serving?
Did you ferment in corny #1 or just put it there to cold crash?
What did you do to prevent all the stuff that settled out from fermentation/cold crash from getting picked up and transferred to the serving keg?
And what do you mean by bubbling/boiling? Like when Corny #1 was empty you pushed CO2 from corny #1 into corny #2 and it just bubbled through the beer?

Provided you didn't ferment in #1 and push trub/yeast into #2 you can just let it sit for a couple days then dump the first cloudy pint, after that it'll probably clear up. Cold crashing doesn't drop out enough material to where you need to transfer it into a serving keg, just serve from the one it's in. The only time I'll push beer to another keg is if I want to free up a specific keg (i have different sizes) or if I need to take a full keg somewhere since that'll stir up the sediment (unless it's a hefe). Once it's pouring clear beer it'll transfer clean but yea, if you empty the beer the next thing to come out is all the stuff on the bottom of the keg which puts you back at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies!

So you cold crashed in corny #1 then transferred to corny #2 for serving?
Did you ferment in corny #1 or just put it there to cold crash?
What did you do to prevent all the stuff that settled out from fermentation/cold crash from getting picked up and transferred to the serving keg?
And what do you mean by bubbling/boiling? Like when Corny #1 was empty you pushed CO2 from corny #1 into corny #2 and it just bubbled through the beer?

Provided you didn't ferment in #1 and push trub/yeast into #2 you can just let it sit for a couple days then dump the first cloudy pint, after that it'll probably clear up. Cold crashing doesn't drop out enough material to where you need to transfer it into a serving keg, just serve from the one it's in. The only time I'll push beer to another keg is if I want to free up a specific keg (i have different sizes) or if I need to take a full keg somewhere since that'll stir up the sediment (unless it's a hefe). Once it's pouring clear beer it'll transfer clean but yea, if you empty the beer the next thing to come out is all the stuff on the bottom of the keg which puts you back at the beginning.

I fermented in corny #1 and cold crashed it then was going to transfer to corny #2. Prior to doing so I attempted get both cornies at the same pressure (seperate CO2 tanks unfortounetly since my setup didn't have a splitter off one) to then lower the pressure in corny #2 and start flow. Corny #2 ended up being higher and blasted corny #1 with CO2 causing it bubble which I think stirred up the yeast seadament that had fallen. Once I got the preasure down in corny #2 using my spunding valve everything started to flow over just fine. I did get a little yeasty kick at the end of transfer though and when taking the sample it all tasted good, had minimal seadiment but still was supper cloudy and the beer should have at least some transparency.

I fermented in corny #1 and cold crashed it then was going to transfer to corny #2. Prior to doing so I attempted get both cornies at the same pressure (seperate CO2 tanks unfortounetly since my setup didn't have a splitter off one) to then lower the pressure in corny #2 and start flow. Corny #2 ended up being higher and blasted corny #1 with CO2 causing it bubble which I think stirred up the yeast seadament that had fallen. Once I got the preasure down in corny #2 using my spunding valve everything started to flow over just fine. I did get a little yeasty kick at the end of transfer though and when taking the sample it all tasted good, had minimal seadiment but still was supper cloudy and the beer should have at least some transparency.

Did you cut/shorten the dip tube on the fermentation keg? If not, no matter how long you cold crash you're just going to transfer over all that junk from the bottom into your serving keg.

After cold crashing a keg, you need to very carefully lift it out of the cold chamber or the yeast on the bottom swirls up again.

Connect a picnic tap to the liquid out post, apply some pressure (4-6 psi) and blow off the yeast from around the dip tube area, until you get (mostly) clear beer. Then transfer to your serving keg that has NO pressure on it (an open PRV), using a jumper hose. If you maintain pressure in your serving keg you will always risk blow back.
Toward the end of the transfer you need to be ready to pull the QD off the serving keg quickly or more yeast may blow out. You can usually hear that moment by a change in pitch, or when you see milky beer entering the jumper line. If your jumper hose is longer it gives you a little more time.

Over time more yeast will settle in your serving keg, so your first half pint may always be a bit cloudy for a while. Eventually it should clear up. However, the yeast that settled on the bottom can easily be stirred up again when picking up or moving the keg.

Last edited:
Back