Brutus owners, what solenoids did you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaClaus

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in middle of building a brutus system, and like like a lot of folks I've being seeing online, I have some questions regarding the asco valves.

asco no longer makes the valve in Lonnie Mac's design, and I've seen a number of folks using asco's fuel-gas solenoids instead, others are using air, inert gas asco's, and still others are using Honeywell solenoids with electric pilots. I'm trying to figure out what's what. I'm working on a budget, but still want to build this safe and right.

If you've built a system w/temp control similar to brutus, what valves did you use and where did you purchase?

As usual, I've got myself running around in circles reading internet posts, reviews, and blogs....

I use a solenoid gas valve purchased from the Valves4Projects people and it has performed flawlessly. I would suggest that you contact their tech support directly and ask for their help selecting the proper valve for your application. They are familiar with home brewers, friendly and very helpful. They also respond quickly which is always nice. You can call or email them for assistance.

Hey all, I'm in middle of building a brutus system, and like like a lot of folks I've being seeing online, I have some questions regarding the asco valves.

asco no longer makes the valve in Lonnie Mac's design, and I've seen a number of folks using asco's fuel-gas solenoids instead, others are using air, inert gas asco's, and still others are using Honeywell solenoids with electric pilots. I'm trying to figure out what's what. I'm working on a budget, but still want to build this safe and right.

If you've built a system w/temp control similar to brutus, what valves did you use and where did you purchase?

As usual, I've got myself running around in circles reading internet posts, reviews, and blogs....

For safety sake I would recommend the Honeywell VR8200A2124 Standing Pilot Gas Valve 1/2 NPT w/ Thermocouple. This standing pilot valve uses a thermocouple that detects flame. If the valve is set to open and the thermocouple does not detect the pilot or main flame the valve shuts down. It is very handy if brewing outdoors with some wind or as a general safety. They can be purchased for about $60, sometimes cheaper on Ebay.

For safety sake I would recommend the Honeywell VR8200A2124 Standing Pilot Gas Valve 1/2 NPT w/ Thermocouple. This standing pilot valve uses a thermocouple that detects flame. If the valve is set to open and the thermocouple does not detect the pilot or main flame the valve shuts down. It is very handy if brewing outdoors with some wind or as a general safety. They can be purchased for about $60, sometimes cheaper on Ebay.

Awesome - thanks for the responses.

I like the idea of the honeywell with the standing pilot. If a breeze blows out your standing pilot with an asco solenoid you could end up with quite a fireball on your hands- Or rather in your face.

$60 is pretty affordable, I thought the honeywells were a lot more than that (like $200+) which is why I was shying away from them.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

I was just thinking about it... The honeywell standing pilot gas valves are designed for natural gas, would they require modification to be used with propane? Can they be?

Has anyone used honeywell valves on a brutus propane rig?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-Electric-So...691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8c26c43

Thanks for responding, is this the valve you went with? It gets confusing reading all the opinions out there. I've seen prices all over the board with these things, and saving money is important but so is safety.

Are viton seals fuel gas rated?

Yes that is the same valve I use... Viton seals are hydrocarbon fuel rated, which includes natural gas and propane. I won't get into the safety issue as that is all personal preference, but I never leave my system unattended while it is running and I have never had an issue after 20+ batches with these valves and standing pilots.

Reviving a buried thread here.

So I'm working on plans/designs for a Brutus 10, and I'm concerned about the solenoid situation.

I understand the safety reasoning behind the Honeywell solenoid, but I'm stumped due to a specification on it --- specifically that it handles 0.5 psi of propane (via use of a dual-stage regulator on the LP-tank-side). Now call me crazy. but my Blichmann burner has a 10 psi reg on it, and I know I use over 0.5 psi without a doubt.

Am I missing something, or is this a fatal design flaw in this system? I don't see any way I'd be getting performance even close to what I've got by just using my Blichmann burner + LP tank on the 10psi reg in my current non-Brutus setup.

Is there an option that matches the Honeywell, but allows full 10psi flow through the system, and still has the same safety features? I wanna do this right, and either I'm missing something, or the Honeywells sound like a horrible choice of solenoid.

Back