Brutus 10 Gas Valves question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombdog

Reaction score
OK...been searching the forums with not much luck so I thought I would throw out the question. I'm building a Brutus 10 using Lonnie's plans. I pretty much have most of it done but the gas system. The ASCO valves Lonnie used are no longer available. What are the specs of a valve that is needed and where can I get them? I want 120 volt to use with my controllers. Also I didn't build the gas beam like Lonnie did. I'm just gonna use black pipe and bolt it on.

If you go the ASCO valve route the valves just need to fit your pipe and be rated for gas. I use a gas manifold of 1" black pipe feeding to 1/8" pipe input burner valves for my 3 ring burners. My rig is not as pretty as the Brutus 10, since I hung it on commercial shelving from a big box store, but it was a lot cheaper. I picked up a box of a dozen ASCO 1/8" valves on E-bay for not much. I didn't see any value in having 1/2' pipe valves for 1/8" pipe.

That said, a lot of guys go the Honeywell valve route now, for the safety of a pilot light interlock. I'm always there when the burners are on, and it's in my garage, so I don't mind just keeping an eye on the pilot lights. I also stay stone cold sober while I'm running several 90,000 BTU burners and have a couple of kettles full of 18 gallons or so of boiling liquid to manage, so I don't feel compelled to buy the Honeywell valves.

I used a Honeywell VR8200A gas valve, a Honeywell thermocouple and pilot burner, and a 120V AC to 24V AC transformer. I don't remember which transformer I bought but I got all of that at pexsupply.com. There were some other miscellaneous parts involved too like the gas line and gas valves which I sourced locally mostly at Lowes.

I only control my HLT burner at the moment but I'm in the process of converting it to a HERMS to better control mash temps.

ThreedogsNE........A dozen ASCO valves? I only need two...what are the specs on the ones you have and how do they work for ya?

Hey....got my ASCO valves....Got them on ebay for 30 bucks....one says 40 PSI and the other says 150 PSI. See any problems with this? They have the same model number

Latest posts

Back