Bru'n Water v 1.12 Posted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabrungard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The next version of Bru'n Water has been posted on the Bru'n Water website. It provides an improved User Interface and corrects an error in the mash pH estimation that caused problems when the batch size differed significantly from a typical 5 gallon batch size.

Enjoy!

Damn I just used Bru'n Water 1.10 to formulate a water profile last night, and posted a question about it in this forum. I suppose I will have to rework it, and repost it.

BTW, I love Bru'n Water. keep up the great work!

Um... I'm not really seeing any difference... Other than the file name at the top.

EDIT: Sorry, posted that before I saw I your post.

The one thing I'd like is to have the mash water carry over from one worksheet to the next. I sometimes forget to change it in the mash acidification sheet.

Also, on the adjustment sheet I think it would be nice if the SO4/CL ratio information was set up in a small box like you have for the beer color. In fact, it could go right underneath the color box, right next to the finished water SO4/CL ratio.

I just tried it, nice work! I entered in the last tripel I did. My measured pH was 5.42. The predicted pH is 5.4.

mabrungard said:
The next version of Bru'n Water has been posted on the Bru'n Water website. It provides an improved User Interface and corrects an error in the mash pH estimation that caused problems when the batch size differed significantly from a typical 5 gallon batch size.

Enjoy!

What adjustments, if any, are required for an 11 gallon batch?

What adjustments, if any, are required for an 11 gallon batch?

None, other than specifying the batch size, and other volumes, correctly. He was saying that there was a problem with the spreadsheet, not that you need to adjust anything.

Thanks. I assumed that was the case but I was still curious if I needed to scale down from 11g to 5g to use the spreadsheet.

Excellent work! Only thing I would like to see would be the final ending or total (mash + sparge) water profile for the batch to go along with the final mash water profile that is already there. I like to see where all my numbers finish up but if I enable the CAs04 and CACL to replace chalk & lime option I don't see the final numbers for sulfate and chloride although I'm sure the ratio stays the same. Anyway thanks a lot for creating this spreadsheet, use it all the time!

I understand the pH is just an estimate, but is there any way to get it to display to 2 decimal places? I'm using it with LibreOffice.

I agree that it would be nice to see the mash pH reported to the hundreths. But, there is an issue with significant digits that we learn in chemistry. If any input in an equation has low precision, then the reported result can't have any higher precision than that low-lier. The other problem is that there is no way a program like this could predict pH to that precision. Predicting to a tenth of a unit is about as good as we could expect.

I agree that being able to see the variation in the hundreths would be helpful in assessing your treatment adjustments, its just that too many brewers would think that they could expect that level of accuracy in practice. I suppose I could put a disclaimer in there to help the brewer understand this limitation. But you know that some will miss that!

Back