Bru'n Water Profile for Crown Point, IN?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamyoung

Reaction score
greetings everyone… Wondering if there are any home brewers in or near Crown Point, IN that have the water profile for municipal water here. After moving here I've done about five batches, and my mash efficiency has suffered greatly. I'm starting to suspect that the water is the component that I need to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I suggest that you call the water department to see if they have the concentrations of the various parameters that we need for brewing use. If they don't, you might check with Crown Point Brewing since they have been brewing some good styles. Find out what they do. The fallback option will be to send a sample off to Ward. Don't be surprised if the city partially softens the tap water.

Thanks mabrungard those are actually really great pieces of advice, particularly talking to a brewery around here. You were thinking what I am regarding softening the water… I feel like it's way buffered here and it's hard for me to get my pH down where it needs to be in the mash. That is just me guessing since my pH meter is packed away somewhere, and I had everything dialed in for cook county for my years of brewing there previously. If I find anything of value I will share with the forum here… Thank you again for your time and the suggestions

I’ll ask a couple guys at work today if I get a chance. If you haven’t already figured it out. I always just use distilled water. I’m new to all this, but I figured that’s probably just easier. I don’t drink my tap water anyway.

Yeah, I looked at that when we moved here and found it was very unhelpful. Anything anyone happens to come across for ions, etc would be most helpful and appreciated!

Back