Brun water not working for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
so i got my milwakee meter and my water is at pH 7.17, after entering my grain bill, is says to add 7ml of lactic acid to bring my target pH of 5. damn, i nearly had to add 11ml to get it down that low. is there any dedicated pH calculator that works easier?

Water chemistry is a huge and potentially very confusing topic. You may be oversimplifying things a little.
A few points/questions
1. Your water pH is pretty much irrelevant, your waters alkalinity is far more important in predicting mash pH.
2. Are you targeting a mash pH of 5.0? If so that seems a tad low.
3. The calculators do a pretty good job of predicting outcomes of a complicated process with imperfect data. They are never going to be exact.

There are a lot of threads and probably some stickys with good explanations of water and mash chemistry, might be useful reading if you haven't already. (If you have, and I'm patronising you I apologise!)

I got my water quality report online from my citys website. My target mash pH is 5.2 but and end of the boil, i want it to bepH 5.0. is that low cause im doing a saison with sacch during primary and by the time i want to pitch brett for secondary, i want it to be below 4.5. But damn, didnt think it was going to drop to 4.3 the next morning. Plus, i got the pH Target post boil from Hill Farmstead for his Florence saison.

Thinking of getting the smart brew kit, cause my city sources water from different wells so its always changing.

http://www.sensafe.com/smartbrewkit/

so i got my milwakee meter and my water is at pH 7.17, after entering my grain bill, is says to add 7ml of lactic acid to bring my target pH of 5. damn, i nearly had to add 11ml to get it down that low. is there any dedicated pH calculator that works easier?

This explanation makes it sound like you added 11 ml of acid to your water, before adding the grains, to get the pH of the water alone to 5.0. Is that what you did?

Latest posts

Back