Bru'n water grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have just had my water tested and have a number of questions regarding the use of Bru'n water spreadsheet. The most basic one is the grain bill entry. I am brewing an Ale with Morris Otter Pale Malt, Flaked Oats, Carapils and Candy Sugar. Do I only add the grains into the Mash Acidification tab or do I include the Candy sugar? Also how do I find out if the Marrin Otter Pale is classed as a Base, Crystal or Roast malt?

This is one recipe and the next one will use a different set of grains. Is there a guide as to what classification the different grains fall into?

Thanks. More questions to come I am sure!

Paul

The sugar doesn't go in the mash, and there's no place for it in the spreadsheet anyway.

And Maris Otter is base malt.

I suppose there must be a grain guide somewhere that'd distinguish between base malts and "specialty" malts...

Cheers!

Flaked can go as base malt, the carapils is a dextrin malt so put it in the crystal bin.
Be sure to enter the appropriate color index for each malt...

Cheers!

Thanks. Is there a 'Look-up' for all the different grains and what they should be classed as in Bru'n Water? I can make those changes recommended here for this recipe but with the next brew there will be a different set of grains and I don't want to rely on all the good people here in this forum to set me straight again with a different grain bill.

Thanks,

Paul

Back