Bru'n Water and darker crystal malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishAndy

Reaction score
When I add Crisp Medium Crystal (240 EBC) to a recipe in Bru'n Water it flags the line item as red if the Grain Type dropdown is "Crystal Malt". If I change it to "Roast Malt" then red goes away but the pH prediction drops significantly from 5.30 to 5.18.

Am I supposed to ignore the red warning because it is indeed crystal malt or should this be treated as roast in which case I need to revist my acid additions?

When I add Crisp Medium Crystal (240 EBC) to a recipe in Bru'n Water it flags the line item as red if the Grain Type dropdown is "Crystal Malt". If I change it to "Roast Malt" then red goes away but the pH prediction drops significantly from 5.30 to 5.18.

Am I supposed to ignore the red warning because it is indeed crystal malt or should this be treated as roast in which case I need to revist my acid additions?

In checking the comments:

"This cell turns Red if the color rating is high and the Grain Type is not set to Roast malt. This cell turns Red if the color rating is low and Roast Malt is selected."

The problem is that if you change the Grain setting to EBC in the dropdown in Cell B20, and enter your 240 value, it still stays RED.

Sounds like Martin may have a logic issue.

For the purposes of your brew session, disregard the RED conditional formatting and keep it as a crystal malt. Just make sure you engage EBC in the dropdown so your batch color prediction isn't skewed.

240 EBC is roughly 120L and that's not 'medium' according to Simpsons. But that is beside the point.

It does sound like the malt color selector at the bottom of the Grain Bill Input sheet is still set to Lovibond and not EBC. However, upon checking the response of the free version, I see that the OP's point is made. The cells are turning red when they shouldn't be. That is corrected in the supporter's version, but I haven't known about this fault prior to this.

Ignore the red for now.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I just received the supporters version and when I transposed the recipe across it was happy with the Crystal 240. (see attached). Crisp's crystal light, medium, dark are 150, 240 and 400 EBC.

brunwater.png

Back