Brown sludge in the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheepcat

Reaction score
Brethren,

Last Saturday (30 JAN), I brewed an all grain dunkelweizen doppelbock, based mostly on the recipe from the latest Zymurgy.

I used 2 lbs of oats, and about 6.5 lbs of wheat in a 20 lb grist.

I mashed in at 115, let rest 20 mins, and then raised the temperature to 127 or so, to sit for 20 more.

Well, by the time I started decoction, a thick brown sludge had settled over the grain bed. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or knows what this stuff is?

I did a few things here I never tried before, like a protein rest, use of wheat, and use of oats. Too many variables for me to try to isolate it on my own.

20160130_223314_resized.jpg

20160130_213540_resized.jpg

I get this all the time. I started seeing it when I switched over to Hochkurz style mashes (longer with a 158 temp rest). I believe it's made up of proteins that come out of the mash, nothing to worry about. Sometimes it forms such a thick layer in my mash that it prevents the mash tun from draining. This is the only problem I've found with it. Also, one other item, I tend to see it more when I use weyermann pilsner as my base (mostly use this for all beers I make). I've used Maris Otter and American 2-Row in the past and have not seen as much in these mashes.

It's called "taige" pronounced ty'g, consists of proteins and globulins, etc. It's a sign of a good mash profile, typically from step mashing and decoctions.

Thanks for the replies. I used 40 qts for 20 lbs, and yep, I used Weyermann pils as the main source of barley here. Good to know it's something fairly normal.

It did make some issues with draining the mash, but I managed. Thanks y'all.

Back