Brown recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlampen45

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this is in the wrong thread but i didn't want to post it into the recipes since I'm not sure about it. Any help/insight is welcome as my last 2 browns have turned into porters.
9.44 lbs row
1.25 lbs crystal 80
.2 lbs chocolate malt
.2 lbs blackprinz
.25 lbs rolled oats
.75 lbs brown sugar

.75oz cascade 60 min
1.25oz cascade 20 min
.5 oz cascade 1 min
Mash at 152 and toss safale-05 at it

I plugged it into brewersfriend.com and came up with
Og 1.06. FG 1.017
Abv 5.7. Ibu 37.5
SRM 24.6 BU/GU .62
According to designing great beers i really should have bu/gu ratio closer to .9 to make it closer to style. Will this be a malt bomb? I'm sort of hesitant to throw more hops in since i have a tendency of doing that and the mrs likes her malt

This seems ok, I've never made an American brown ale, usually make British ales so take my advice lightly. I'd probably drop the Brown sugar entirely. I'd maybe turn the Crystal 80 to 40 and the blackpinz to special roast 50L, but this definatrly won't make a porter. Brown ales are generally malt forward beers as well so I'd be careful about how much late addition hops you use. If it was me I'd swap your 60 and 20 min additions, just a thought.

Wow I'm an idiot, my wife just found a better explanation of bu/gu scale on this site. I was under the impression 1.0 was balanced and less was malty and more was bitter. Time to rework it

Alright here's the revision. Took your advice on the hops too.
10.44 2 row
1.75 crystal 60
.5 chocolate
.5 rolled oats
(A handful of blackprinz for color, comes out to around .07 on brewersfriend)

.75 cascade 60 min
.75 cascade 30 min (might move to 40 yet)
.5 cascade 1 min (will this give me to much hop in the nose yet? )

Og 1.057 Fg 1.014 ABV 5.58 IBU 30.19 SRM 25.12 Bu/Gu .53

Brown ales I usually use Northern Brewer, Liberty, Willamette, E Kent Goldings hops in different combinations. But thats just me

Looks awesome. I'm excited to hear how it turns out, should be nice and creamy. I'm curious how the maltiness and the cascades will balance out. Keep me posted on the beers progress!

.5 cascade 1 min (will this give me to much hop in the nose yet? )

Og 1.057 Fg 1.014 ABV 5.58 IBU 30.19 SRM 25.12 Bu/Gu .53

You'll notice it for sure but I don't think it will be unbalanced. Just citrusy. If that's what you want then giddyup!

I like Willamette in my American Brown. Your recipe looks tasty! I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Alright thanks for the input everyone. Maybe ill dial the 1 min down just a bit, and the only reason I'm using cascade is a friend grew a whole bunch for me last year and I'm trying to use it up. And designing great beers says it's a go-to for American browns. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend

How insane would it be to do a second runnings mild and throw an ounce of fuggles at 60, a half ounce of golding at 40 and the other half at flame out? Like hoppy brown water?

Latest posts

Back