Brown porter brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of formulating a brown porter recipe, and also considering pitching some brett into it together with some english yeast (possible burton wlp023). The brett strain I am looking at is WLP645 at the moment, but if you know about one that would suit this beer better, feel free to comment on that.

How does brett behave in darker beers? Is it yummy, or does it totally kill the mouthfeel? Also, when should I pitch it? At the same time as the sacc or at some other point?

Cheers

I think Brett C is a good choice, as it is of English origin and generally very mild. Brett will definitely deflate the mouthfeel and body of the beer. If this is a concern, carb a little higher to improve the mouthfeel and perceived body of the beer. I'd stay away from very roasty malts or at least keep them to a minimum as the dryness you will achieve using brett will accentuate it.

As for when to pitch it, I really like the way brett behaves in secondary so that is my go-to choice if I'm not looking for strong brett character early on.

Yea, the recipe I'm working on has no roasted malts 6% chocolate malt and 12% crystal malts of various colour. Do you think that 6% of chocolate is going to be too roasty?

About doing Brett in secondary, that will develop more taste, correct? But from what I've read, the taste from secondary can turn out completely different as well. I really have no clue which one to choose though. Pitching in primary with the sacch is more appealing solely because of the "pitch and forget" ring to it.

Yea, the recipe I'm working on has no roasted malts 6% chocolate malt and 12% crystal malts of various colour. Do you think that 6% of chocolate is going to be too roasty?

About doing Brett in secondary, that will develop more taste, correct? But from what I've read, the taste from secondary can turn out completely different as well. I really have no clue which one to choose though. Pitching in primary with the sacch is more appealing solely because of the "pitch and forget" ring to it.

funny you should mention that.
I have a brown porter currently ageing on sour cherries and WLP645...
Maris Otter.
Brown Malt
Pale choc
1.050-1.012 (I was aiming for 1.014)
Yeast 1469

Its 2-3 months into the brett, and has a nice pellicle on it (mostly from the cherries i suspect)

I read about this style on shutup about Barclay Perkins, as 645 is a english origin, and supposedly comes from ye-olde porter/stout beers.
the cherries were to kinda offset the lower FG than intended, and to compliment that lovely cherry pie flavour you can gt from brett yeasts.

I also have a Belgian dubbel on WLP650
and I'm running a hoppy Saison on 670 (blend) (my house ale)
next on the brett list is something I've done before -
Belgian Blond with WLP653

don't fear the brett, but keep your gear separate.

Back