Brown Bag Carboy Cover - with pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
Any reason this wont work? Bag goes all the way to the bottom. Just a little bit of the neck poking out the top! :drunk:

IMAG1112.jpg

I used to do that as well, but I had two issues with it. First of all, I used a carboy handle. Having a handle meant that I needed a bigger opening on the top. I solved that issue by making a slit in the bag instead of a big hole that would let sunlight in, but it was annoying to mess with it when I wanted to see what was going on during the fermentation (bit of a voyeur ;) ). Your bags seem bigger, but I always found that my bags were too short and left the bottom exposed. Ultimately what worked best for me, was to use a sweatshirt. The wide neck made it easier to slip on and off. I would then wrap the arms around the top near the airlock. If I wanted to see what was going on, I could just scrunch it up some and look without removing it. I suggest giving the sweatshirt a shot if you have one, but the bag definitely works.

I used to do that as well, but I had two issues with it. First of all, I used a carboy handle. Having a handle meant that I needed a bigger opening on the top. I solved that issue by making a slit in the bag instead of a big hole that would let sunlight in, but it was annoying to mess with it when I wanted to see what was going on during the fermentation (bit of a voyeur ;) ). Your bags seem bigger, but I always found that my bags were too short and left the bottom exposed. Ultimately what worked best for me, was to use a sweatshirt. The wide neck made it easier to slip on and off. I would then wrap the arms around the top near the airlock. If I wanted to see what was going on, I could just scrunch it up some and look without removing it. I suggest giving the sweatshirt a shot if you have one, but the bag definitely works.

Yep my bag doesn't cover completely. Yeast cake is showing.

Try using a black trash bag (one of the heavier grade ones). Put the carboy in it, pull the sides up and tighten the collar around the neck of the carboy, hold it with a rubber band. Covers great and you can still check things out or remove it easily. Beer burka!

There is actually a carboy hauler under the bag in this picture! I assumed that all bags were the same size but I guess not. I have used a shirt before but always was skeptical of how much light they actually keep out. They seem fairly porous.

Black Trash bags here also-upside down with a small hole cut in the bottom for the carboy neck to poke through.
Lift up to see what's going on inside.
Rinse and hang to dry when spilled on.
Been using the same ones for years.

Revvy said:
But you know what they say, it's the clothing that makes the....

Now THAT'S going the extra mile for a laugh. Hats off to ya Revvy!

I always use towels or t-shirts. Almost all my fermenters will be wet in a swamp cooler to hold the temperature down.

Latest posts

Back