Brown Ale or English Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastbaybrewer

Reaction score
I just brewed this recipe. I plan on entering it in a compatition, but not sure where I should enter it. Also let me think what you think of the recipe. Thanks
10 lbs maris otter
1 lb brown malt
.75 lbs pale chocolate malt
.75 c40
.25 carafa special
1 oz fuggle @60
1 oz Willamette @10
Wyeast 1318

Very tough question without being able to actually see/smell/taste the beer for you, as those styles theoretically could overlap a little. Even tougher to say without your stats (OG, FG, IBUs, SRM). Gut reaction from your grist is that this is probably a beer with more of a "chocolate-caramel-malty profile" than a purely "caramel-centric" beer, which puts you into the 13C. English Porter category more than 13B. British Brown Ale. The Brown Malt + Pale Chocolate + Carafa Special will give you a chocolatey impression with light roast that will likely bump you out of style for a British Brown.

Plugging your numbers into my spreadsheet and making some assumptions I'd guess you're in the 1.055-1.060 range for OG, IBUs in the 30's, and SRM in the upper 20's. Based on that you're solidly into Porter by the stats.

Best advice I can give you is to try your beer while reading the "Overall Impression" sections of each style from the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines. Good luck with your entry and bottle with care!

Very tough question without being able to actually see/smell/taste the beer for you, as those styles theoretically could overlap a little. Even tougher to say without your stats (OG, FG, IBUs, SRM). Gut reaction from your grist is that this is probably a beer with more of a "chocolate-caramel-malty profile" than a purely "caramel-centric" beer, which puts you into the 13C. English Porter category more than 13B. British Brown Ale. The Brown Malt + Pale Chocolate + Carafa Special will give you a chocolatey impression with light roast that will likely bump you out of style for a British Brown.

Plugging your numbers into my spreadsheet and making some assumptions I'd guess you're in the 1.055-1.060 range for OG, IBUs in the 30's, and SRM in the upper 20's. Based on that you're solidly into Porter by the stats.

Best advice I can give you is to try your beer while reading the "Overall Impression" sections of each style from the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines. Good luck with your entry and bottle with care!

Thanks for the reply and advice. Your stats are right on. I hope it turns out with the chocolate impression you describe.

Definitely taste the beer before filling out the forms. Many beers have won competitions by figuring out what you made after the fact!

Back