Brooklyn Brew Shop's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
After about a month's worth of false starts, I was able to brew my second beer project yesterday: the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie variation of Brooklyn Brew Shop's Oatmeal Stout:

[ame]http://vimeo.com/80167768[/ame]

This comes on the heels of my first-ever brew, BBS's Chocolate Maple Porter. I've never really been a "dark beer" person, but I wanted to try these for my first brews, due to the seasons (autumn and winter). I must say, I am a convert, and am loving the rich, dark, roasty beers! The porter was simply outstanding, with a rich, warm glow and all of the characteristics that were advertised. I was quite impressed, especially after comparing it to a couple of other porters in the area and finding that mine was at least as good as those, if not a little better - or maybe that was wishful thinking! :drunk:

I learned a few things brewing my first batch - you can read about the experience by clicking here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/brooklyn-brew-shops-chocolate-maple-porter-tips-advice-492568/

Building on the success and the lessons learned during that brew, I felt that I was adequately prepared to start this second project, and had a great time making it. The first and possibly most efficient thing that I did was to buy a third kettle for the process, so that the mash, sparge etc. would go much more smoothly. The first time I brewed beer, I only had two - this worked, but was awkward in a couple of spots. Adding a third pot helped immensely.

One fundamental thing that I wanted to improve on was temperature control during the mash. My 8-quart stock pot is quite basic, made of rather thin-ish stainless steel. It works, and works well, but maintaining temperatures can be tricky, especially on our electric, glass-topped stove. Recalling experience gained with other cooking projects, I reasoned that setting the kettle in a wide, heavy cast-iron pan over the burner might effectively turn it into a thick-bottomed pot in order to help stabilise temperatures and keep the up-and-down swings from being as chaotic as they were the first time. After trying this "improvement" during the mash, I am indeed happy to report that it worked pretty darn well. I still needed to pay attention to what I was doing, but I was not constantly chasing my tail and over- (or sometimes under-) shooting my target range. I am sure that there are better ways to do it, but this was a definite, real improvement.

The sparge was another step where I wanted some better things; the first time, I had a fine-mesh strainer that was just barely big enough to hold the mash, making sparging quite awkward. I was able to get it done, but it was an uphill struggle the entire time. For my second attempt, I bought a slightly-larger, fine-mesh colander-type strainer that fit perfectly into my 12-quart stainless-steel stock pot, making a very effective lauter tun. This made things 100 per cent easier, and I was able to stir the mash around much more thoroughly while re-circulating the wort through the mash.

The rest of the process went pretty much without incident; since the boil was 90 minutes, I guesstimated the amount of wort that I wanted to start out with, and by the time the boil was over, I was maybe a cup or a cup-and-a-half below a full gallon - not bad!

As I mentioned before, I chose to make the oatmeal raisin cookie variation of this recipe (see video above), and was simply amazed at the aromas coming from the boiling kettle: first, I added a cinnamon stick along with 2/3 of my East Kent Golding Hops; similar to the Fuggle Hops that I used before, yet unique in their own right, wonderfully reminiscent of autumn, dried flowers and moss, with a rich under-tone. Later, I added the rest of the hops for aroma. Then, during the final stage of the boil, I added some brown sugar and raisins. Words are not enough to describe the result - you really must experience it for yourself to appreciate it. The hops, cinnamon stick, brown sugar and raisins really did meld together into something that was incredibly more than the sum of its parts - and it really did remind me of oatmeal raisin cookies coming out of the oven ~ amazing!

After pitching the yeast, I set up a blow-off tube and tucked it away in my closet, where as of this morning it was happily bubbling and fermenting away at about 64 degrees ambient temperature. In three weeks, I'll bottle it, and three or four weeks after that, we'll see what I came up with.

Loving it so far!

If anyone has made this variety and has any tips, advice, comments or experiences to add, please do so. If anyone is interested, please feel free to follow along on the journey, as well.

More as it happens ~

Ron

I checked on the fermenter this morning, and while there is definitely some fermentation going on, it seems slow - there isn't even any krausen, yet.

Having said this, I've never brewed a stout before, only a porter, so I don't know everything that I am to expect with this. I'm not too worried about it (yet), and will of course keep an eye on it. I noticed that the ambient temperatures were a little low (about 60, rather than the 65-70 that I think (hope) is optimum), and I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that this might be part of the reason.

I bumped the temperatures up just a bit, but won't be able to check on it again until this evening. We'll see how it goes.

G'morning, gents -

@Calichusetts - I did consider his, but my oven's lowest setting is 170 degees, so I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. I will probaby try it on my next brew (BBS's Chestnut Brown Ale), and see how it goes.

UPDATE - I checked on my fermenter this morning, and while here is still definite fermentation taking place, it is indeed slower than last time. I didn't observe any bubbles coming from the blow-off fube this morning, but I can definitely see a small amount of residue in the tube, so I am assuming that things are slowing down. Since it is Day #3, and the apparent slow-down of fermentation is right on schedule, I'll probably replace the blow-off tube with an air-lock tonight, if all looks the same.

More as it happens - please keep the replies comng~ this is only my second brew, and I am definitely still learning!

170 was my lowest setting on my last oven, now its 175. Work perfect, just preheat the oven as you warm up your strike water. Mash in, let it settle out, turn off the oven and put it in.

I take it out a few times to stir but there is no need, holds temp perfectly.

Have you gotten a sample of this beer yet? I'm hoping to brew it for Christmas gifts this year (yes, I realize I'm a bit behind schedule) and was wondering how you liked it. Hope it turns out well.

And +1 for using the oven at 170 degrees to hold temp. Works for me every time.

Hi, Jim -

I haven't yet sampled this, as it is still fermenting, but I am indeed expecting great things, based on the aroma that I was getting during the mash!

I am beginning my third week in the fermenter as of yesterday, so we're right on schedule. I plan to cold-crash on Friday, and then bottle Sunday; this timetable worked very well for my Chocolate Maple Porter.

Not much to provide as far as an update - I did forget to post that on day 4 of fermentation, I asked my wife to switch out the blow-off tube for the airlock, since I was at work. Even though she had never done it before, she had no troubles - so this is now officially a team effort! :)

Near as I can tell, everything is proceeding as it should. Temperatures are pretty close to where I want them to be - a degree or two low at times, but nothing terrible, as far as I can see. We've had a terrific cold snap these past few days, so I might bump up the ambient temperatures a few degrees for this last week of fermentation. I expect bottling to go without incident, but I definitely intend to use two tablespoons of maple syrup (rather than the three proscribed in the instructions) for bottling; the reason for this is because I did have some slight over-carbonation using three tablespoons to prime my porter - nothng explosive, but still enough that I want to tone it down just a bit.

More as it happens....

After about 3.5 weeks of fermenting, I put this brew in the refrigerator to cold-crash last Thursday evening, December 11th. I had intended to bottle this past weekend, but life got in the way.

I am assuming that it will be alright to bottle this coming weekend? This would be a total of 3.5 weeks fermenting, and 1.5 weeks cold-crashing. I do not see a problem with this, but if anyone has anything to add, please feel free to do so.

I just got this for Christmas. I hope you update with the post-bottling and tasting. Really looking forward to this.

Back