Broken Smack Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amarillo4BRKFST

Reaction score
I intended to make a starter tonight with a wyeast smack pack only to realize (after breaking it) that I would have no way to cool the starter down before pitching it into the starter wort (my ice supply was depleted and stores were closed).

So I threw that puffed up 1056 right back in the fridge - is it going to be useable tomorrow? The next day? I haven't found any threads about storing broken smack packs yet but I apologize if I am repeating someone else's question.

Ok so I found threads... turns out searching homebrewtalk for the thread came up dry but google lead me to the exact thread I needed (in homebrewtalk...?)

FWIW, I usually just need a few sinkfuls of cold tap water to cool my starter wort. Ice is obviously quicker but I've had no contamination issues with the longer cooling time. I just make sure the lid on my pot gets steamed/sanitized by putting it half on (and switch sides halfway through) during the boil then leave it on while the wort cools.

Ok so I found threads... turns out searching homebrewtalk for the thread came up dry but google lead me to the exact thread I needed (in homebrewtalk...?)

Yeah, strange huh? Google gives better results than the internal search engine here, which supposedly also uses Google. Just type homebrewtalk after your query string to limit returns to this site only (sort of).

So I made a single hop Columbus IPA with the starter I made with the smack pack in question and it is already vigorously fermenting in less than 24 hrs. No harm done, RDWHAHB!

Yeah the tapwater in central TX... too hot!!!!

It has made wortchilling a ***** and a half.

Just FYI, Wyeast is an awesome company that welcomes feedback on their products. If you still have the pack, shoot them an e-mail with the production code.

Back