broke my capper, bottles, capping questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDodds

Reaction score
I broke my capper yesterday. I am not real heavy on home brewing. I am wondering if there is a better way to bottle. It has become impossible around here to find non screw off bottles. I even tried talking to the local bottle redemption place and told him I would pay 10 cents for every non screw off bottle he could find me. I have been bottling the same way for the last 20 years since I got into this. I have always just used one of the red cappers that came with my kit. Many years ago I did some research on using screw off bottles. At the time there was no decent way to do this. Has this changed in the last dozen years or so? I have also read about using plastic pop bottles. Does this work ok? Do I need to buy new caps to do this? 1 reason I brew is to save money. I don't want to go spending a bunch of money to keg or anything like that. I really only brew with extracts.

I did try looking through the sticky at the top. I made it though the first 10 pages and didn't really see anything other than talk about the dip tube.

There's still no decent way to bottle with twist off bottles. Your best bet would be to use a bench style bottle capper and using standard crown caps. Twist off bottles are a bit on the weaker side so the standard hand capper that grips tight on the neck would have a higher tendency to break them.

Reusable plastic beer bottles could certainly be an option for you. Pop bottles also do work.

I agree, I just bottled a 5 gal batch using a bench capper with twist off bottles. Not a single failure. I tried one using a hand capper and broke the neck. Soda bottles are great! And with 20, 33, and 66 oz sizes, bottling is fast. Their light size is a pain tho, fall over till filled. Reuse the original caps.

Back