british yeast 005 starter question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyR

Reaction score
going to brew up a batch of beer tonight or tomorrow night. I mixed up a starter (1/2 cup DME, 1l or so of water and yeast nutrient) and put it on the stir plate last night. The White Labs yeast vial seemed like the yeast was a lot more "clumpy" than other yeasts I've used from them.

After being on the stir plate overnight, the yeast still looks like it's more on the "clumpy" side than on the milky side like it usually is...

is this just what this yeast looks like or is there something wrong with my yeast? the good by date was January 2014 and I bought it from a reputable local dealer. It just looks different than the other starters I've made (only about 4 or 5 so far and first time with this type of yeast).

anyway just trying to gauge if I need to stop and get another one or if the little white specs suspended in the fluid is what it should look like? maybe I just didn't notice it before but it seems like the other starters it was more milky/diffuse???

I bought WLP007 for the first time and it seemed kind of "clumpy" to me, like micro curd cottage cheese

someone said 007 was like that, maybe 005 is the same way

second question- I wasn't able to brew my batch and put the starter in the fridge after I had it on the stir plate for a couple of days.

It's been 5 weeks. what should I do with my next batch? buy fresh yeast and start over? warm up, decant and pitch? or decant and add more DME/water and start on the stir plate again?

second question- I wasn't able to brew my batch and put the starter in the fridge after I had it on the stir plate for a couple of days.

It's been 5 weeks. what should I do with my next batch? buy fresh yeast and start over? warm up, decant and pitch? or decant and add more DME/water and start on the stir plate again?

give it a sniff test. if it smells OK then decant and add more DME/water and start on the stir plate again

if it smells bad, get a new vial.

Back