"British Flavor" Killed by Extended Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsburghBrewer

Reaction score
I understand that many people on HBT leave their ales in the primary for 3+ weeks to improve clarity and to allow the yeast to "clean up" off flavors.

For British ales, however, I've seen some threads where people mention that too much time on the yeast (meaninng over 2 weeks) can "clean up" some of the desirable esters that contribute to the typical "British flavor".

For example, people mention this in British Yeasts, Fermentation Temps and Profiles, CYBI, Other Thoughts..., a 63-page thread started in 2011 that seems to be one of the best discussions of British ale brewing on this forum.

What do people think about this? I currently have Northern Brewer's Innkeeper fermenting at 64F with Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale). I've left my other ales on the yeast for 3 weeks, but I'm considering pulling this one at 2 weeks (if it's at FG). My only reason for doing so would be to preserve the British flavor - otherwise, I'm in no rush.

2 weeks is perfectly adequate. That's a small beer (ESB?) if I remember correctly.

British ales are typically in casks within a week to ten days of being brewed. They'll then be conditioned then vented and served once it's settled down.

The longest I'd leave a beer that size in primary would be two weeks and that would only be because I find it hard to bottle during the week.

However if it it is a true yorkshire strain it will need a lot of rousing during fermentation to make sure it doesn't drop out early;

see https://youtu.be/BK7p_REuVWU?t=60

Back