Bring on the vibrators (yeast starters)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtotten

Reaction score
While watching Brewmasters a while ago, I noticed that their yeast girl (Does that sound weird in a thread about vibrators? Let's go with lab lady) was testing / propagating yeast in a flask similar to the ones many of us build starters in. But rather than using a stir plate, the vessel appeared to be on some kind of vibrating platform.

Is this common in commercial breweries? Does anyone use a similar method at home? It seems as though something like this would be easy and cheap to make with a handheld massager or adult toy and a little ingenuity. As long as the flask and wort are in constant motion, it would seem to be effective.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

I hope you have money for a contraption like that. They're expensive. We have one at my school that's like a $13k machine. Granted that thing will hold like 10-5L flasks so I'm told.

Thanks for the link, Revvy. After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Thanks for the link, Revvy. After reviewing that, I'm confident that stir plates are the way to go! Although I'd still like to find a way to use sex toys in brewing.

Well now, coffee on the computer monitor and its only 730. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Thanks guys!

Why not just drop the vibrator into your flask? Should stir it up pretty well. You might want to put it on a rubber mat or something to keep it from moving around

Don't click these links at work!

What about wrapping a growler in these and then putting the growler in one of these. Would be an interesting conversation piece...

Last edited by a moderator:
That could actually work if it were in a ziploc bag with all of the air squeezed out so it doesn't float. Interesting. I wonder how long dildo batteries last, I would guess far less than 2 days, but who knows. I'm going to try this next week.

Well now, coffee on the computer monitor and its only 730. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Thanks guys!

Why not just drop the vibrator into your flask? Should stir it up pretty well. You might want to put it on a rubber mat or something to keep it from moving around

It is. But there's a small group people down here that are lawbreakers. ... into homebrewing and dildos. Both of which can get you a steep fine and thrown into jail.

It should read "It shall be unlawful for any Church to operate within 1000 ft. of any adult establishment."

Funny I had this same idea for a yeast starter shaker (vibrator) of sorts. I scaped my childhood trashed football game last fall, but not before scavenging the vibrating motor assembly, thinking I could make something out of it.

Anyone built a yeast starter vibrator from one of these? Would it even work?

DFH's first continuous hopper was made from an old vibrating football table.

Back