BrightHouse vs. Fios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
Alright quick down and dirty.

1. I have bright house and fios is now available.
2. I have no HD tv and have no interest in getting one.
3. Brighthouse runs 110 a month for cable internet/tv
4. Fios will run 95, 80 without DVR which I cannot do without.

Questions,

1. Is the internet much faster?
2. Who has fios and what are your thoughts.

I have had no problems with brighthouse. The Internet is a little unstable at times, and I have never had any problems with the customer service either. Worth it to switch?

Never heard of Brighthouse, so can't comment on it. My parents have Fios and love it. They used to have Verizon broadband and DirectTv, like both the Fios internet (faster) and tv (doesn't cut out, has on demand, etc) better.

If you have used comcast tv, it is almost exactly the same

Questions,

1. Is the internet much faster?
2. Who has fios and what are your thoughts.

I have had no problems with brighthouse. The Internet is a little unstable at times, and I have never had any problems with the customer service either. Worth it to switch?

I don't have any familiarity with brighthouse but you can look up the offered connection speeds and see how they compare with the FIOS package you are looking at.

I have FIOS and don't have HD so it's a cheaper package than the HD programming & box. We have the TV/Internet/phone package and it's cheaper than what we could get for all three w/ other providers unless we downgraded services. I quite like the TV and Internet service w/ FIOS, no complaints.

Sorry, I forget that most don't know what bright house is. Bright HOuse is a spinoff of Time Warner basically. It was time warner at one point, but it is some sort of split. It is best to think of it as Time warner with GOOD customer service.

Brighthouse has not only good customer service, but also good network infrastructure, etc. Besides the price (I think it is VERY expensive), Brighthouse is a real good company.
Can't coment on Fios, it is not available in my area

FIOS is fiber optic to your telephone pole vicinity (then it goes to copper into your house)
This is for everything - phone, cable and internet.

Just about all other providers is copper to your telephone pole vicinity, and copper to your house. Im thinking of going FIOS (possibly) if I can talk the wife into it.

FTA doesnt sound too bad either (but thats only cause the hacker in me wants another toy)
-Me

FIOS is fiber optic to your telephone pole vicinity (then it goes to copper into your house)
This is for everything - phone, cable and internet.

Just about all other providers is copper to your telephone pole vicinity, and copper to your house. Im thinking of going FIOS (possibly) if I can talk the wife into it.

I don't live in Verizon territory, but I know that, at least in some areas, FIOS is fiber to the premises - one fiber from the central office to the neighborhood and that's broken out into 32 lines (still fiber) that go to the houses. Then there's a box in the house that breaks the fiber out into copper for the various services.

I don't live in Verizon territory, but I know that, at least in some areas, FIOS is fiber to the premises - one fiber from the central office to the neighborhood and that's broken out into 32 lines (still fiber) that go to the houses. Then there's a box in the house that breaks the fiber out into copper for the various services.

That's how ours is installed

When I moved into my current rental house I opted to pass on HD. Then, after I just settled in I went for it. I had it before i moved, so I knew it was the shiznit, but after I got it again, I said to myself, "how did I live without this???" I wish there was a way to delete standard channels off my box.

I don't have a preference for either but I have to say WTF on the "no desire to get an HD tv" statement. I won't even watch anything if it's in SD.

Don't get me wrong, an HD tv would be great. But I simply don't watch enough to justify the cost right now. I'm a big fan of "Go big or go home". The day will come when I get a big ass HD tv. Not whilst I am college though. I go to school mainly online, so internet speed is of vital importance to me.

Back