Briess white sorghum extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
I accidentally ordered Briess white sorghum liquid extract.

I was planning on making my usual IPA, which is:
1.7 kg Coopers IPA Brew A LME
1.7 kg light unhopped LME
0.4 kg sugar
US05 yeast
various late and dry hop additions
Usual OG 1.055-1.057, FG 1.009-1.012

If I use 1.7 kg of the Briess in place of the light unhopped LME, what will be the effects on OG, FG, and body, dryness, taste etc.? Bad idea or not?

Last edited:
I used sorghum LME in October to do a gluten reduced pale. Came out hot, dry but somewhat grassy because of my late additions - was going for juice. My ratio was 78.95% Sorghum - which imo is too high. may have to augment water profile to supplement the mouthfeel i think comes with using sorghum

i would give the sorghum a run but in my opinion it will be on the dry side. I have never used Coopers IPA brew LME so i cannot comment if that will add some butt to the sorghum - but you should be fine 50/50

YMMV

thanks for input

i find that Coopers IPA is on the amber, caramel, sweet side of where i'm trying to move to in my IPAs. i like those ones, but i want to get to a lighter, cleaner, drier beer (while remaining all extract) but keep a solid hop flavour and aroma from late additions and dry hopping. this lighter brew will lean more heavily into the citrus world - likely cascade/citra or cascade/amarillo profile.

sounds like the white sorghum may be the ticket by accident anyway?!?!?

i say go for it. I used Knottingham as my house yeast which i have had great results with attenuation as i like dryer beers as well- if you have brewed the recipe you posted for the ipa before, i would keep the same hop schedules the same so you can compare vs the sorghum.

Best of luck but i am sure you will not need it :)

Latest posts

Back