Briess Ashburne Mild malt inquiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Because the three LHBS's nearest to me have never carried this malt I've never tried it yet. If you have used it, tell me what you use it in, and offer your opinion of it.

The Briess site has a way to search their database of recipes by malt, so you can pick one out that uses a good bit of it, if that is what you are looking for. I brewed the Good Humans recipe as a partial mash, which came out fine, but nothing extraordinary, though I did sub LME for the pale malt which might account for that.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Recipes/

Its similar to maris otter in that it has a very rich and distinctive taste. To me it screams english ale. I dont make alot of malty beers but it could probably do a smash type beer pretty well with the right hops.

But substituted for pale malt? Nope. Not even close.

I bought two sacks on a whim as a substitute for the hard to find Paul's/Warminster mild malt. That said, the flavor is not even close to the UK stuff, being similar to a US dark munich with stronger and sweeter biscuity flavors. In the UK styles I like to brew, it provided the wrong type of malt flavor, although it wasn't terrible. Still have a sack of the stuff. Might be worth using in a big RIS or porter.

@bierhaus15 a bit OT but have you had any luck for a supplier for Paul's/Warminster mild malts? There used to be a place to order Paul's from online, but they no longer stock it. I'd love to find a source of it...

Warminster and Pauls mild malt was available via Cargill not long ago, although that probably doesn't help on the home brew side of things. I'm not even sure Pauls produce a mild malt anymore.

If you can find it, Crisp Chevallier is a decent substitution.

Yeah I know Cargill was the source for Paul's but none of my LHBS can source it. I have, and use, Chevallier but it isn't quite the same!

@bierhaus15 a bit OT but have you had any luck for a supplier for Paul's/Warminster mild malts? There used to be a place to order Paul's from online, but they no longer stock it. I'd love to find a source of it...

I don't remember seeing the Pauls recently, but I've not exactly been looking out for it - they were bought by Axereal/Boortmalt a few years ago who have also just bought Cargill's malting business. So one would imagine that distribution of their stuff across the pond will improve, but they may be in the middle of transitioning their arrangements so supplies could be a bit flaky until the new season's malt arrives?

Cargill seem to embrace Warminster pretty closely, and list their mild malt on their website. If you get really stuck, then these guys are a major homebrew retailer who are based close to Warminster and seem to have a close relationship with them. At least the exchange rate is in your favour at the moment, it's less than US$1/lb before shipping.

Chevallier has been brought back by Crisp, and you should be able to get hold of it via anybody who deals with Crisp, even if they don't normally stock it.

@Northern_Brewer thanks for the tip of Cargill's relationship with Warminster, and especially sharing that they make a Mild Malt. I buy Warminster's Maris Otter buy the sack full and find it quite lovely. Hopefully their Mild is a treat too, and that I can source some through Cargill. The good news is that the LHBS sources their grain through Cargill, so I am going to see if they can order some!

:mug:

Back